No announcement yet.

They Say A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I saw the news title I was secretly hoping it's new shots from UT3. But, interesting news nevertheless!

Comment

I'm concerned about the relevance of windows tests if a compatibility layer like cygwin is used.
      I think a such issue could easily deserve PTS' credibility in the benchmarking (small) world more than a windows version could serve PTS.

Comment

I just wonder, why Gentoo's PTS is hard masked

Comment

Originally posted by marvin42 View Post
          I fear that most of the tests depend on cygwin, so it's that what gets tested and not raw win7. There should be at least an option to disable these tests.
          Cygwin is not touched at all.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I think this is really cool, because now we can compare virtualization solutions under win and linux (and you can add a leval to that : windows under linux/windows/mac, linux under linux/windows/mac etc...), performance between bench under win and wine, and things like that. Maybe they're will be too much interesting things to test, but that's great anyway !

Comment

Hope the Phoronix staff is fair enough to use the Server-Editions of Windows. Otherwise this will be quite devastating... alot Windows Benchmarks even run faster under Wine than directly under Windows (Desktop-Editions).
              It has to do with Windows actually reserving cycles for lowlatency task(like audio/video), while Linux doesnt care for anything else but throughput (and thus benchmark scores).

Comment

Originally posted by n0nsense View Post
                I just wonder, why Gentoo's PTS is hard masked
                Because the packager thinks it's not ready. I don't know if anyone is still working on it though.

grep phoronix /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                  Man, that OS looks like crap.
                  Are you serious?

The taskbar looks like KDE3 with compositing and the advantages of the KDE4 taskbar without the disadvantages + some enhancement KDE4 should take over. The fact that the Windows 7 'Kicker' icon lights up like the sun made it look like shit though... They should not have done that...

And the there is the Window decoration. Geniusly placement of the buttons. And then windows are ofcourse windows so making them look like glass was just plain genius from a design perspective too. The close, minimize and maximize buttons look like the rest of the glass because the color red would be too distracting but when the mouse is on there it glows red.

And the Window decoration is not just transparent, because that way you'd be annoyed by the content underneath it, but blurred to make it even more look like a Window.

And then, finally, on every OS you have an ugly looking toolbar with 'File, View, Help, etc'. Apple thought that they were so smart by placing it on top of the screen, but that is annoying too if you have to move your mouse a lot. So Microsoft just auto-hide it and everytime you need it just press 'Alt'.

Look I am not a Microsoft fan at all! But give credit where it's due...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    Are you serious?

The taskbar looks like KDE3 with compositing and the advantages of the KDE4 taskbar without the disadvantages + some enhancement KDE4 should take over. The fact that the Windows 7 'Kicker' icon lights up like the sun made it look like shit though... They should not have done that...

And the there is the Window decoration. Geniusly placement of the buttons. And then windows are ofcourse windows so making them look like glass was just plain genius from a design perspective too. The close, minimize and maximize buttons look like the rest of the glass because the color red would be too distracting but when the mouse is on there it glows red.

And the Window decoration is not just transparent, because that way you'd be annoyed by the content underneath it, but blurred to make it even more look like a Window.

And then, finally, on every OS you have an ugly looking toolbar with 'File, View, Help, etc'. Apple thought that they were so smart by placing it on top of the screen, but that is annoying too if you have to move your mouse a lot. So Microsoft just auto-hide it and everytime you need it just press 'Alt'.

Look I am not a Microsoft fan at all! But give credit where it's due...
                    I think this is 1 of the few times i need to agree with you. All you people are saying it looks likes shit when its arguably just fine. Get your head out of the penguins ass and view the world as unfiltered as you can. You make us look like a club of blind people.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                      I think this is 1 of the few times i need to agree with you. All you people are saying it looks likes shit when its arguably just fine. Get your head out of the penguins ass and view the world as unfiltered as you can. You make us look like a club of blind people.
                      On the one hand, there sure are quite a few people in the community with their head up in penguin's a??, but I find claiming Windows' window management and decoration (of all things) as superior to KDE or even Gnome just laughable.
                      Geniusly placement of the buttons.<snip>The close, minimize and maximize buttons look like the rest of the glass because the color red would be too distracting but when the mouse is on there it glows red.
                      Care to elaborate? How is it different from the default theme in ubuntu or random other distro?? (Note: I don't use Ubuntu but am pretty sure I saw the glow effect there, and while the default KDE4 theme sucks IMO, a theme I like and has the glow effect was one of the pre-loaded ones. Since the graphics drivers are in the shape they're in and as stable as they are (=NOT), I can't afford translucency or compositing. While useful in full-window translcency, blurred translucent window borders aren't something I care to have.)
                      And then windows are ofcourse windows so making them look like glass was just plain genius from a design perspective too.
                      Not sure what kind of windows you have but my windows have the glass in the cetnre and the opaque frame on the outside - the opposite of what default Windows theme looks like.
                      See above.
                      Window decoration? Please. The fact you need it wider than 1 px is evidence of failure to manipulate windows efficiently - like the Alt+left-drag to move a window or Alt+right/middle-drag to resize them. (*waves at OS X users*). There's still no easy way to make random window "always-on-top" without third-party utils or direct involvement from the app's vendor. I don't find multiple desktops particularly useful but not having them at all, I dunno...

There are (lots of) things I'll praise Windows for (ABI compatibility making portable apps possible; allowing the user to install apps into whatever directory they feel like; auto-inflating swapfiles; power management; wifi management that doesn't break in every other version, simplistic GUI-driven utils for the one time you need something simple; dead-simple filesharing; after-the-fact compressed folders; on-line defragmenting...). But window management is one of those things "so exceedingly simplistic that only a caveman would want to use them."

I'm looking forward to graphics benchmarks

Comment

Working...
                      X