Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update On Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Benchmarks

Phoronix: Update On Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Benchmarks

As we mentioned earlier this week, we will be providing Mac OS X 10.6 benchmarks on launch day (well, potentially the morning after, depending upon timing). This week has been very busy in preparations for this article along with last minute work on the Phoronix Test Suite to add in a few more Mac-compatible test profiles and other work for Snow Leopard. The popular video-cpu-usage test profile that charts out the CPU usage while an H.264 1080p video is being played back, is now compatible with Mac OS X and also using Apple's CoreVideo technology...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its a bit silly comparing the performance between Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 9.04 .. one is made by a global giant with almost limitless developer resources and one is made by a tiny technology company in the UK with limited resources. ofc Snow Leopard is going to win in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
      Its a bit silly comparing the performance between Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 9.04 .. one is made by a global giant with almost limitless developer resources and one is made by a tiny technology company in the UK with limited resources. ofc Snow Leopard is going to win in performance.
      I don't know about that, one preaches how opensource development allows for more contributers and the ability to improve others code, the other's game plan has a tight knit group team with a set plan with specified in detail common goals. Linux should by all means have more developers then Apple has for OS X. Looking at the main contributors to the linux kernel alone shows that those companies dwarf apple in size especially when combined.

Comment

@deanjo:
        I agree. Having a good cross-platform benchmarking suite like PTS is great because it really allows apples-to-apples comparisons of unix variants. If one is better than the other in certain areas, it just shows what is possible, provides a goal to strive for and drives improvements in both OS's.

Should be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
          Lol, I was like uh huh...mhm...wait a second, Apple isn't based in the U.K...

You have it backwards. Open source means the entire world can develop something. Closed-source companies are the ones who are tiny. Obviously ALL open source software projects aren't big and don't have to immediately be successful, but Linux as a whole sure is. I'd guess, what, all the "employees" (anyone working on it) put together would be maybe, what, 50 Microsofts? 20? 100? If you count every single developer to any software which will run on Linux? Not to mention, oh, the millions who file bug reports for Linux software, or promote it, not to mention all the help for cross-platform software like Firefox for example.
          Last edited by Yfrwlf; 27 August 2009, 01:40 AM.

Comment

The Linux kernel alone does not provide a good indication of performance its all the stuff on top of the kernel (Xorg, Pulseaudio etc.) and how its implemented that affects the performance of an OS significantly and Apple has the edge on those type of technologies. Sure the Linux kernel has the developer power over the BSD kernel.

Please note I am no way an Apple fanboy, I actually think the GNOME desktop is a lot better designed than the OSX desktop.

Comment

Working...
            X