Shopping For Linux Compatible Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tlmck View Post
    Laptops that are "fully" compatible out of the box. Not necessarily the ones that come with Linux preinstalled.
    That would depend on the distribution you wish to install. Some laptops boot up and run fine on one dist. and fail miserably with another.

Even then, laptops are stuffed with features that not everyone uses. For instance, people many not care that the Bluetooth interface or the fingerprint scanner are not supported.

Comment

i dont think closed source drivers should be considered at all. for example, i have some older nvidia cards and those have to use older drivers, and require masking the current drivers, and possible stuck using an older kernel. i have helped a few people try linux on an older computer with nvidia, its not easy. sure nvidia drivers are good, but users are at the mercey of them for support, where open source will last as long as there are users and developers.
      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      If it's done, it would be tied to a store or stores, for revenue generating reasons.
      perhaps have both? full details on phoronix and quick rating on the vendor site. on the vendor site rating 1 through 5 for 'working opensource driver', 'open documentation', and 'open source friendly vendor'. (for the case of graphics cards, might need a 2D column and 3D column)

Comment

not sure how you could rate laptops. have a rating for overall or have individual ratings for each component?

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          As long as the gpu company (which seems to be our example) supports the hardware like they should if they were worth buying from, then closed source drivers would only be a religious debate. Intel doesnt fudge the drivers so the benchmarks look good on mac, intel just doesnt give a shit. Open source implementations of ATI was a community effort yet people are willing to buy the cards for the open drivers even though ATI really doesnt care. Its not hard for them to document some stuff and make other people do it. Look at what S3 wants done, they basically want us to make the driver for them.

Theres alot to think about if setting up a store. The idea of selling ati cards for open drivers is a moral disaster. Your supporting a company who is working on the backs of its users. Kind of defeats the purpose of it being open source. Im just saying its food for thought.
          i don't think you really have your information straight on whats going on with ATI's open drivers.

Comment

Okay, here our my thoughts:
            1) Not all hardware is supported exactly like Microsoft. (Especially video like ATI) To say that a specific piece of hardware "works" with a particular distro is likely to be peppered (or smeared) with disclaimers. If youd don't place disclaimers, phoronix will become a glowing nuclear hotspot for criticism (and perhaps a lawsuit) because you specify it "works."

2) With #1 in mind, maybe phoronix should consider a google-like product search hosting on this site. End-user inputs a product name, sku, part number into the search field and the results are product sellers, along with the phoronix article or review of the product and a link to the forum discussion/product rating from the forum readership.

This idea allows you to not make any claims on behalf of or in place of the manaufacturer (and avoidng lawsuits to any claims). It shows product ratings like CNET or PCWorld (phoronix rating, user rating). And you clould probably sell link-backs to authorized parts dealers, oh, and of course ad space.

With something like this, phoronix could become the premier website for all things Linux. (news, reviews, shopping search, forums)

Comment

I think a compatible shop is a GREAT idea. Just have to remember that vendors DO NOT consider hardware changes without model number changes to be an issue. Therefore, just because a laptop (for example) works one day, it may not work well with a Linux distro tomorrow, even though the model number is the same. Hate it when they do things like this... I just want to note that you can't just "be done with it" once you think you've found a compatible item.

Comment

Maybe the site should have a linux support rating

It could have
                'Full support with open source drivers' (ath5k, ath9k(?), etc)
                'Partial support with open source drivers' (could include b43, -ati, madwifi)
                'Buggy support with open source drivers' (intel) and
                'Full support with proprietary drivers' (nvidia fglrx(though this IS broken))

Comment

Originally posted by mattmatteh View Post
                  i dont think closed source drivers should be considered at all.
                  Some of us RELY on closed source drivers for advanced 3-D support that would simply not exist otherwise.

I follow the directions carefully and have had nothing but great success with the nVidia drivers.

Philosophical considerations about the merits of open source do not belong in a buyer's guide.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                    Philosophical considerations about the merits of open source do not belong in a buyer's guide.
                    True. A note that it replaces some X.org components and feedback should be directed to nVidia developers instead of X.org developers in most cases might make sense though.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      True. A note that it replaces some X.org components and feedback should be directed to nVidia developers instead of X.org developers in most cases might make sense though.
                      This goes for open-source drivers as well. I am sure that the Fedora developers, and probably even the kernel developers, are really not interested in hearing about bugs in the cyclades RS-232 port driver, even though it is shipped by the distribution and part of the kernel. If you take this to is logical conclusion then each machine will have a huge list of URLs for the developers of the drivers for each of its hardware components.

The closed-source drivers are not installed by default, some user intervention is necessary. Presumably this alone is "notification" that you shouldn't expect help from the distribution's developers with your problem.

My point is that this is not really an issue to be considered in a buyer's guide. The buyers guides for automobiles do not list off where you should go to get your car fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X