Shopping For Linux Compatible Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartjeB View Post
    And for the love of God, don't restrict yourself to America-only. Make the whole website (every aspect of it) translatable.
    Meh, it's not as if English wasn't easy enough a language to learn. Auto-translators are godawful so it couldn't work at all on forum side and having people write the same damn article in every language sounds a bit too much to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
      Motherboards might work well to in the store, but CPUs or Hard Drives and other components may not since they'll always work in Linux. Never seen a "Windows-only" CPU before.
      PowerPC are mac only.. (i'm saying that from a ex-windows user point of vue, b4 using linux)

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
        PowerPC are mac only.. (i'm saying that from a ex-windows user point of vue, b4 using linux)
        Nope. Mac no longer uses PowerPC whereas AmigaOne and some game consoles do afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Nope. Mac no longer uses PowerPC whereas AmigaOne and some game consoles do afaik.
          read again please, you didn't get my point!

Still not getting my point? well I'm not talking of Mac being PowerPC only, but i'm talking of PowerPC are Mac only and not windows compatible!

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
            read again please, you didn't get my point!

Still not getting my point? well I'm not talking of Mac being PowerPC only, but i'm talking of PowerPC are Mac only and not windows compatible!
            Read again please, you didn't get my point. I said that Mac isn't PowerPC-only and that PowerPC isn't Mac-only. If you had just said "Windows only supports x86, amd64 and ia64", I would've agreed. This is a limitation of Windows, nothing more.
            ps. You don't have to yell even if you're wrong.

Comment

This is a very very good idea. But please be very exigent in term of compatibility. Saying that a laptop is Linux compatible means that ALL its components are working (including webcam, card reader, ...). I say that because some "Linux laptop resellers" are very lazy in testing and they give certification as soon as processor is working...

Also, will you support localized Amazon sites like amazon.fr?

Comment

Originally posted by morgoth View Post
                Also, will you support localized Amazon sites like amazon.fr?
                This would be kind of hard to do especially with the laptop example you use. Laptop's and Prebuilts very often carry different revisions country to country. HP for example is very bad for this. Even though their systems may carry the same model number many times the components of such systems vary in the devices used to create them. So whil a US model may have excellent linux support a foreign one may not. Also later revisions of the same model can have different accessories such as card readers. These type of items often change throughout a systems lifespan as those components are swapped freely during the manufacturing lifespan based on availability and cost.

Comment

Laptops that are "fully" compatible out of the box. Not necessarily the ones that come with Linux preinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    If it's done, it would be tied to a store or stores, for revenue generating reasons.
                    This would work, but I too admit that I would use this primarily as a reference. Depending on who the storefront was of course, and if it was an intl site or just USA can change things too (I'm Canadian).

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      why not honor a good cloused source linux driver?

but we need to make clear opensource drivers on an long time view is the better way.

in my point of view intel isn't a alternativ becourse high prices and the igp VGAs are slow and pointless.

but intel supports opensource up to 100% LOL!

if opensource means self hurd right intel is the way to go pay highprices for an minimum opensource only support...

in my point of view amd will be much better in the future.

becourse you have the choice open and cloused source driver and specs.

intel has cloused source drivers to but only for macosX/windows

so intel is a joge for linux users.. linux users lose every 3D benchmark against macos only becourse intelshit drivers.

i think if intel brings the same cloused source driver to linux linux will win all benchmarks again macosX..

intel=highprices and a joge only for lose benchmarks its an marketing gag for macos...

i think apple pays intel for this!
                      As long as the gpu company (which seems to be our example) supports the hardware like they should if they were worth buying from, then closed source drivers would only be a religious debate. Intel doesnt fudge the drivers so the benchmarks look good on mac, intel just doesnt give a shit. Open source implementations of ATI was a community effort yet people are willing to buy the cards for the open drivers even though ATI really doesnt care. Its not hard for them to document some stuff and make other people do it. Look at what S3 wants done, they basically want us to make the driver for them.

Theres alot to think about if setting up a store. The idea of selling ati cards for open drivers is a moral disaster. Your supporting a company who is working on the backs of its users. Kind of defeats the purpose of it being open source. Im just saying its food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X