Shopping For Linux Compatible Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
    100% functionality with mainline kernel drivers? is that a joke? there goes every stand-alone video card currently on the market. every motherboard with an nvidia or amd igp, intel poulsbo based motherboards... etc.

sorry, but thats just not a realistic requirement.

i'll chime in once more saying you should work something out with newegg - that would be awesome.

That's the way I buy my hardware now. That you're not aware of the options indicates it's a good reason to do it.

Comment

I have to second the people that have mentioned they would probably only use it as a service for discovering FOSS friendly products, and then subsequently shop around for the best price.

So in that regard, Phoronix probably wouldn't end up reaping a significant amount of revenue from a shop like this, because Amazon and its partners often don't have the best prices and warranty packages. So unless you plan on having truly competitively priced offerings, I'd say that it's not worth it, only because you won't get the financial returns that you might hope for.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
        If you're going to do this, only products that have 100% functionality with mainline in-kernel drivers (kernel.org) should be listed

I don't need / want to know what will work with proprietary drivers.
        Are you willing to speak for every linux user? Or pay the money they would bring in? No? Then quit demanding. You're in no position to.

This will also provide an incentive to manufacturers to get off their rear ends and get their drivers upstream.
        Oh yeah! I can imagine PhoronixStore go on-line and the manufacturers going: "Oh no! Phoronix doesn't list our hardware as compatible with Linux! What ever are we going to do???" and of course then the entire boards of directors will commit mass suicides. Yep. That's how it's going to be.

/s

Comment

That's the way I buy my hardware now. That you're not aware of the options indicates it's a good reason to do it.
          I would really like to know what video card you bought that has 100% fully featured and compatible support and as well has the same performance levels in linux as it does in windows.

Comment

very interesting...

Comment

For me it would have to be amazon.ca (in addition to amazon.com). It'd find it most useful for Wi-Fi cards, TV cards, and laptops - graphics cards, and Intel/AMD/Nvidia chipsets are high profile enough that it's fairly easy to determine their compatibility. CPU's and internal hard drives can be assume to always work. Sound, network and storage cards are trickier but most of them work with Linux.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              I would really like to know what video card you bought that has 100% fully featured and compatible support and as well has the same performance levels in linux as it does in windows.
              Old out of production ATI cards? For stuff still in production and readily available new, I think the Intel IGP is the closest - it's OK for 2D users and old games, but it's useless (on either Windows or Linux) for running modern games, or for professional 3D applications.
              Last edited by RagingDragon; 20 August 2009, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RagingDragon View Post
                For me it would have to be amazon.ca (in addition to amazon.com). It'd find it most useful for Wi-Fi cards, TV cards, and laptops - graphics cards, and Intel/AMD/Nvidia chipsets are high profile enough that it's fairly easy to determine their compatibility. CPU's and internal hard drives can be assume to always work. Sound, network and storage cards are trickier but most of them work with Linux.

Old out of production ATI cards? For stuff still in production and readily available new, I think the Intel IGP is the closest - it's OK for 2D users and old games, but it's useless (on either Windows or Linux) for running modern games, or for professional 3D applications.
                Even the intels are crippled in performance because of reliance on mesa. Also features such as HDCP compliance, etc are not implemented in linux as well (and most likely never will have those capabilities). Then there is also items like S3 texture compression that are to contend with as well. I do not know any video card that is fully featured and has the same performance levels as their windows drivers have. Every card out there that are still being sold has some crippled capabilities when it comes to linux especially when used with FLOSS drivers.

Comment

you assume far too much, both about me and about linux users in general.

saying i'm not aware if what hardware works with mainline kernel because i pointed out the fact that you would be needlessly limiting a ton of hardware that either works out of the box, or can be setup with a few simple clicks on the vast majority of disto's is absurd.

i'm aware of what the full opensource options are, simple truth is, they all suck. sure, they may be fully supported on opensource drivers, but the hardware itself sucks. and assuming that because you feel that way phoronix should cater to you is also absurd.

Comment

i dont know if i would do this on amazon, just a compatibility list would do. there are a existing lists out there but find them difficult to use and search. i think if phoronix wanted to do something like that, just start a compatibility list and make it better than whats out there. then users can go find someplace to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      why not make 2 rating systems.. green star for opensource drivers black star for cloused source drivers `?? ?

like this 1 greenstar for an working driver 1 green star for an fast working driver 1 greenstar for an fullfeatured driver 1 greenstar for an userfrendly driver and one for the overall best in this year..

5 greenstars *****2009 for exampel also the most ratet hartware in 2009

the same with the blackstars so you can diverend easly if you want clouses source drivers.

for an exampel an amd vga vs an nvidia vga.
                      nvida become an 4 or 5 black star but only 1 greenstar..
                      amd become 3-4 greenstars but only 3-4 blackstars..
                      intel becomes 4-5 greenstars but no blackstar..

there is no need to battle nvidia only makes clear thats nvidia do not have opensource drivers.
                      meh. black star green star is kind of stupid to put it lightly. If your someone like me who doesnt care what kind of driver they use as long as it works, then its an insult or in a best case lead buying.

Lets be honest. If you cant research your card before you buy it for linux then you probably wont use such a service anyways.

Comment

Working...
                      X