Announcing PTS Desktop Live 2009.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dl.zerocool
    Yes I didn't realise the first time I read too, that's why I posted when I understood XD

Because installing etc.. all the stuff is quite annoying just for a few tests.
    Was having "Live" in the title not clear enough?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Apparently not
      Test signature

Comment

Well, seriously now. Isn't it possible to size it down to a CD instead of a DVD? Also the memory requirements looks huge to me... What's the reason behind such enormous requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post
          Well, seriously now. Isn't it possible to size it down to a CD instead of a DVD?
          Most computers that were built within the past 36 months or so have DVD drives... What's the reason for wanting it on a CD? The size will only get bigger with more tests.

Originally posted by VinzC View Post
          Also the memory requirements looks huge to me... What's the reason behind such enormous requirements?
          Running demanding tests in RAM sort of consumes a lot of memory.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Most computers that were built within the past 36 months or so have DVD drives... What's the reason for wanting it on a CD? The size will only get bigger with more tests.
            Damn Small Linux is 50 MB, which might also sound ridiculous.

Why? Well, for the challenge first. Having a DVD drive most of the time doesn't mean it's the only one to target. Some even have no removable drives (by choice I suppose). Having to burn a DVD for only 1 Gig doesn't make me want to go for it. Or make it 4 Gigs and I'll be happy!

Unless this is for testing monster machines that already are unaffordable to most people -- you know, like ?who's got the biggest...?

I don't know... Since PTS has testing profiles, why not categorize? Like profiles for CPU/memory/disk benchmarking only, video, 3D/2D, whatever. Amongst these profile sets, there must be which don't necessarily require that lot of resources, right? Also is Gnome absolutely unavoidable? Or is a lighter desktop also possible? Like XFCE, LXDE... I think there should be many ways to fine-tune the size and requirements of a PTS distribution.

Comment

I can see this being very useful to me, though not as a benchmark but more of a thorough system/burn-in test.

I'm pulling it down now, thanks for doing this.

Comment

Ubuntu is not the fastest, at least in a short test, will test more later maybe. Here stock speed tests without EIST:

Live images booted with toram option (via network, but that does not matter).

Comment

@bridgman

Btw. Kanotix64 iso images had PTS on it much longer, you just did never test it it seems

Comment

Start a Torrent? Making a Live USB???

I've been having trouble downloading PTS Desktop Live from softpedia -- stupid flaky WiFi! -- so I thought I might get it via a torrent. I googled 'torrent PTS Desktop' but came up empty... I wonder if anyone has seeded one yet? If not, and assuming Phoronix has no objections, and further assuming that I manage to download a clean copy, would it make sense for me to start a torrent of it?

My plan is to install PTS Desktop Live on a SD card and run it off that. I've never created a Live USB stick before, but I assume it can be done using "Create a USB Startup Disk" (on Ubuntu Intrepid)?

Thanks!

Comment

Softpedia is slow as hell, had the same experience. It was usually not your wifi connection, dl speed got down to 200k (max 400k). In that time i created a new Kanotix64 iso with PTS 2.0 on my server and downloaded it with 2.5 mb/s and got my iso faster As the live image is similar to normal U all tools should work which used to work. Like unetbootin or that tool you mentioned or you are free to write your own one - that's that i did. I do not really like that way, because i prefer hybrid iso images, but as U prefers gfxboot patched syslinux/isolinux that will not happen so soon. For benchmarking i usually boot those images via network connection and with toram option. As U kernels have got a very stupid hack included that disables HPA by default i additionally need

libata.ignore_hpa=0

It would be nice when this option is added by default because it sucks when you boot U on a raid system and then all disks fail on reboot (full poweroff needed).

Comment

Working...
                      X