Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Detailed Guide To Phoronix Test Suite 2.0

Phoronix: A Detailed Guide To Phoronix Test Suite 2.0

In less than two weeks we will be officially releasing Phoronix Test Suite 2.0 "Sandtorg" and this by far is the biggest upgrade ever to our flagship testing and benchmarking software. While the Phoronix Test Suite is most often associated with Linux, this open-source software is also compatible with Mac OS X, OpenSolaris, and BSD operating systems too, all of which offer new improvements with Phoronix Test Suite 2.0. In this article we have detailed some of the major highlights of Phoronix Test Suite 2.0 and how we seek to drive innovation into PC benchmarking and performance profiling.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it possible to make the Phoronix Test Suite work on Windows as well? It would be kinda cool if performance could be compared between Windows and Linux with the test suite.

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
      Is it possible to make the Phoronix Test Suite work on Windows as well? It would be kinda cool if performance could be compared between Windows and Linux with the test suite.
      I could port pts-core / Phodevi to run on Windows 7... Plus some of the test profiles. I have thought about it, it would be fun. However, I have no intentions of doing so until any company or organization wants to finance that work... Or at a minimum, to at least send out a couple Windows PCs. I have no Windows installations on hand.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Please make sure the PTS Live Linux ends up with an alternate BIG SMP variant kernel as well so we can run tests on large servers. A non-Desktop oriented test suite set would also be very welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I could port pts-core / Phodevi to run on Windows 7... Plus some of the test profiles. I have thought about it, it would be fun. However, I have no intentions of doing so until any company or organization wants to finance that work... Or at a minimum, to at least send out a couple Windows PCs. I have no Windows installations on hand.
          I would be willing to provide access to Windows machines, I can't send you out Windows installs, but if you wish, I can provide access to Windows versions from 2000 all the way up to 7.

All you need to do is ask and I will try to provide to the best of my abilities.

Comment

I would be willing to provide access to Windows machines, I can't send you out Windows installs, but if you wish, I can provide access to Windows versions from 2000 all the way up to 7.

All you need to do is ask and I will try to provide to the best of my abilities.
            Thanks, but I will just wait for a company to back it. Much easier having the systems running locally so I can swap out hardware, change the drivers, etc for verifying the software/hardware support is working.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Thanks, but I will just wait for a company to back it. Much easier having the systems running locally so I can swap out hardware, change the drivers, etc for verifying the software/hardware support is working.
              Yes, please don't waste time on Windows, was so 1990s. :P

Not to mention Windows has enough benchmarking programs as it is...you know...the whole reason behind PTS coming to be, lack of benchmarking on Linux/BSD/etc. As far as *open source* Windows benchmarking, I dunno, but who wants to help open source on a closed source platform? Just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
                Yes, please don't waste time on Windows, was so 1990s. :P

Not to mention Windows has enough benchmarking programs as it is...you know...the whole reason behind PTS coming to be, lack of benchmarking on Linux/BSD/etc. As far as *open source* Windows benchmarking, I dunno, but who wants to help open source on a closed source platform? Just silly.
                Considering that Linux's main competitor is Windows, wouldn't it make sense to observe Windows benchmarks and see where Windows comes out on top, so that Linux could be improved in those areas?

Such testing isn't reliable unless you use exactly the same tests on both OSes on the same machine to ensure the least amount of variables in the experimentation.

Comment

Considering that Linux's main competitor is Windows, wouldn't it make sense to observe Windows benchmarks and see where Windows comes out on top, so that Linux could be improved in those areas?
                  Exactly, I am all for some mammoth company throwing $$$ at PTS

Comment

Is there any way to determine what the command-line equivalent is for each of the tests in the GUI implementation of PTS 2.0 ? I'd really like to know what the setting is for the record size in the IOzone test!

Comment

Working...
                    X