Stress test external SSD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress test external SSD?

Sorry if this obvious, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about testing an external SSD (sdc). I ran phoronix-test-suite benchmark disk but it appears there is no options/configuration to specify which storage devices exactly to test? Any pointers?

I do not know the test suite, but usually you need to mount the storage device to a mountpoint and launch the benchmark in the current working directory that you want to test. That means you need to provide your own filesystem on that storage device. There are exceptions; benchmarks that test raw devices. But those are pretty rare and not all that interesting.

Comment

Tried this and it didn't work. I ran phoronix-test-suite benchmark disk and it still displayed all the storage devices on my system:

DISK: 2000GB Corsair Force MP600
      + 2000GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
      + 2 x 4001GB Samsung SSD 870
      + SSD 64GB
      + 0GB Storage Device

I just want to test ONE 64GB SSD and not all disks in this system. How come there is no way to specify which disks to test??​

Comment

You mount the disk you want to test, edit your ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml (or /etc/phoronix-test-suite.xml) and change the EnvironmentDirectory location to the desired mount point.

In the system information table it will always show all detected disks regardless since for some complex disk layouts it can't necessarily correlate directly to given disk(s) for some RAID configurations and other setups.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
        X