No announcement yet.

A good test or suite - please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elena09: Are you trying to test all the "parts" of the computer to see if they work? Are you trying to find out if the parts installed are as claimed by the "documentation"? Or are you trying to find out the relative "speed" of the computer?

The test results posted appear to give some useful hardware information and some speed results for the main processor/memory systems. They probably cover much of the operation of the CPU.

Running the tests over while monitoring temperatures should give you a general idea about the cooling system for the CPU and main board. Please be careful while stress testing - you don't want to cook anything.

I don't know that the current tests check sound/video/display/keyboard/usb/disk/network or other hardware. I use memtest to check memory and prime95 to verify CPU/memory. I use fsck for the filesystem, but I wouldn't say that's a complete test.

Comment

My last question, please...

Ok, how do I know if my motherboard has LM sensors or ACPI supported? I promise I won't ask anything else, it's just I want to be sure I'll not do something wrong.

Comment

Answers and main idea

Sorry, I didn't see page 2 of this thread, and I didn't answer.

Main idea: I want to buy a laptop on which Ubuntu 9.04 works perfectly, that's the goal. Meanwhile, I am practicing on my tower PC.

I am interested in finding out (1) if the parts of the laptop will work (all of them) and also, (2) will work according to the documentation for each of them. Also, (3), if the laptop doesnt have hidden bugs like those I saw in the Ubuntu forums, like "Ubuntu doesn't control the fans" or HDD has problems etc.

So, my intention is to install myself the Ubuntu 9.04 on the laptop at the shop which sells it, give it some tough tests and see if I can answer (1), (2) or (3).

So, my question is, if someone knows and wants to help me: Can you indicate me one suite of tests which could really help me to answer 1, 2 and 3? Also, give me please all the commands necessary so that I'll be able to run that (one) suite, and find the temperatures of CPU, motherboard, GPU, etc. If there isn't such a suite, tell me please one test for each part of the laptop.

Thanks

Elena

Comment

First, I've never used PTS. From the description it could probably automate some of the following.

Your objective seems reasonable, yet, getting full functionality with Linux depends on the hardware.

The CPU, USB, Ethernet and disks are almost always supported these days.

The sound is probably supported so long as you don't need special 3D sound for games.

Temp and voltage sensors usually work.

Video is a giant rat's nest. Basic video on standard resolution screens for sure. Hardware accelerated 3D, movies, dual (or more) monitors, and TV out vary. You can read endlessly about the status of such in these forums.

Webcams are a maybe.

Fans and powersaving are also big maybes.

Wireless networking is also a maybe. You can probably get basic 802.11g working. WEP and/or WPA often work. Other features (automatic signal compensation, etc.) maybe not.

Some hardware autodetects and works on boot. Sometimes, you have to download or manually install a driver.

Check the boot log messages. Linux has to check the hardware when it boots, so you get a list of what was found and how it was dealt with on each boot.

Some hardware may not be turned on so may not be found. Check the BIOS settings.

If you know what software you want to use, you can test it out with a "live cd". Consider playing a movie. That could check sound and video at once (especially if the movie was a test pattern). DVD quality movies should be smooth. High bit rate 1080p movies are probably out of the question (who's got a 1080p laptop?)

Everything else ranges from easy (verifying basic function) to tedious and requiring special equipment (verifying all features under all conditions). Here's where refining your needs is helpful.

You might want to "stress test" the machine. Run the CPU and video full bore while checking each for errors. Do the fans ramp up? Are they too loud. This takes some time. Check temperatures and battery life.

You could try testing for fans and battery life with lesser loads to check power saving. There aren't many standards for this. Roughly, you could compare battery life with a proprietary OS (which might support proprietary power saving modes of the peripherals).

Luckily, you can test your current machine to become familiar with the concepts.

For specific features important to you, check the hardware compatibility lists and forums for details on what might work and how to test it.

Comment

All right

Ok, thanks for your advices !! I made a list with what's important and I'm going shopping for a Ubuntu compatible laptop.

Comment

Working...
            X