Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick, overall system performance suite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's two versions of scimark2: scimark2 and java-scimark2. Only the latter should depend upon Java.

ffmpeg is a nice encoding test.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Scimark2: sounds good then, I'll look a bit more. Ffmpeg is nice but the download is 10 minutes @ 186 K/s.

Apache: can we run it only once? (the compilation). It seems like a nice disk+multicore test.

Comment

Does the composite test in scimark2 run all the scimark2 tests sequentially? It seems like a nice test if so. Can we run it just once?

Also: all encoding tests seem to trigger the same data download:

=========================================
        Downloading Files For: timed-audio-encode
        Estimated Download Size: 74.99 MB
        =========================================

I am really tempted to use scimark2 for CPU_1. It is also very portable (I looked at the code, it's a bunch of self-contained c code it seems ...)
        Last edited by mendieta; 12 April 2009, 02:03 PM.

Comment

For 3D, would trislam be a good candidate for this? It installed fine in my two machines, but when it runs it opens a window and it doesn't draw anything in it (it always looks black), then it reports the run time, Is that the way it is supposed to be?

Comment

No, trislam wouldn't really be good for being a standard. The Perl OpenGL libraries are not too common on most Linux desktops and trislam isn't too real world representative.

Yes, that does sound about right for that test profile.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

The unigine tests seem pretty interesting: realistic but also manageable download size, But they are coring in my machine, I wonder how easy it is to get them going in all the platforms of interest ... tests in this swuite should be pretty solid. Any sugestions for 3D?

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                The unigine tests seem pretty interesting: realistic but also manageable download size, But they are coring in my machine, I wonder how easy it is to get them going in all the platforms of interest ... tests in this swuite should be pretty solid. Any sugestions for 3D?
                It seems like unigine really doesn't run in older cards. We need a more universal 3D test:

Discussion & collaboration on the Phoronix Test Suite software and specification.

Comment

Unigine would be an excellent 3D test, especially as Unigine Corp is involved with PTS.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Unigine would be an excellent 3D test, especially as Unigine Corp is involved with PTS.
                    Sure, but what do we do about older cards? Something that could be done is just ignore the 3D test for them. Would that make sense? Can we ask Unigine Corp why they fail with a fatal error if that extension is not found? (or if there is a workaround for older cars)
                    Last edited by mendieta; 13 April 2009, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Michael: let's summarize where we are, and there are a few questions that you haven't seen above:
                      • CPU_S = Single Core CPU plus RAM. Test: Scimark2, Composite test [1]
                      • CPU_M = Multiple Core CPU plus disk. Test: build-apache, one pass [2]
                      • GUI_2D = 2D Performance. Test: gtkperf draw circles. [3]
                      • GUI_3D = 3D Perfomance. Test: Unigine Sanctuary [4]

The global test scores would be as follows:
                      • system-quick = power(CPU_S*CPU_M*GUI_2D*GUI_3D, 1/4)
                      • system-quick-cli = power(CPU_S*CPU_M, 1/2)
                      • system-quick-gui = power(GUI_2D*GUI_3D, 1/2)

Note that the score of system-quick is also the geometric mean of the other two. When you run a test, besides the global score we can show the individual scores, like in geekbench: a big number, and details beneath.

Questions:

[1] Does the composite aggregate all the individual tests od scimark2? That would be best.
                      [2] The regular test for build-apache builds it 3 times, way too long for this. Can we build it just once in this test?
                      [3] Draw circle may be limited. Can we run all "draw" tests sequentially and aggregate? (maybe not)
                      [4] What do we do in cases where Unigine fails? (older cards). Maybe we should only show the cpu score in that case.

I think we are getting there. Best!

Comment

Working...
                      X