Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable "Utilizing Data From Shared Cache" feature

Hello,

I'm trying to benchmark the performance impact of compiling for various x86_64 microarchitecture levels.

To determine which tests are the best to run, I have run some benchmarks with the "-O1" and "-O3" CFLAGS and selected the ones with the most difference. See more at
    https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermai...ch/048735.html

But when I try to run the real benchmarks, I am hitting a problem that the test results are being loaded from the shared cache and not executed. For all but the first test, I get the message "Utilizing Data From Shared Cache" and the test is not being run.

I'm doing the tests so:
    Code:
    [email protected]:~/install/phoronix-test-suite$ export CFLAGS="-O1 -mtune=generic -march=x86-64" CXXFLAGS="-O1 -mtune=generic -march=x86-64"
    [email protected]:~/install/phoronix-test-suite$ ./phoronix-test-suite run pts/scimark2 pts/john-the-ripper pts/graphics-magick pts/coremark pts/himeno pts/encode-flac pts/c-ray
    [...]
    [email protected]:~/install/phoronix-test-suite$ export CFLAGS="-O3 -mtune=generic -march=x86-64" CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mtune=generic -march=x86-64"
    [email protected]:~/install/phoronix-test-suite$ for test in pts/scimark2 pts/john-the-ripper pts/graphics-magick pts/coremark pts/himeno pts/encode-flac pts/c-ray ; do ./phoronix-test-suite remove-installed-test $test; done

[email protected]:~/install/phoronix-test-suite$ ./phoronix-test-suite run pts/scimark2 pts/john-the-ripper pts/graphics-magick pts/coremark pts/himeno pts/encode-flac pts/c-ray
    [ ... tests are being installed etc ]

Recently Saved Test Results:
    uarchlevels [Today]
    uarchlevelsprep [Today]
    draftuarchlevels [Today]

Enter a name for the result file: uarchlevels

Current Test Identifiers:
    - O1_generic

Enter a unique name to describe this test run / configuration: O3_generic

[...]

SciMark 2.0:
    pts/scimark2-1.3.2 [Computational Test: Composite]
    Test 1 of 15
    Estimated Trial Run Count: 3
    Estimated Test Run-Time: 2 Minutes
    Estimated Time To Completion: 58 Minutes [20:18 CET]
    Started Run 1 @ 19:21:25
    Started Run 2 @ 19:21:55
    Started Run 3 @ 19:22:27

Computational Test: Composite:

Average: 1128.31 Mflops
    Deviation: 0.97%

[... and comparision with openbenchmarking etc ]

SciMark 2.0:
    pts/scimark2-1.3.2 [Computational Test: Monte Carlo]
    Test 2 of 15
    Estimated Trial Run Count: 3
    Estimated Test Run-Time: 2 Minutes
    Estimated Time To Completion: 54 Minutes [20:16 CET]
    Utilizing Data From Shared Cache @ 19:23:03

Computational Test: Monte Carlo:

Average: 458.08 Mflops
    Deviation: 10.99%
    I have tried various ways to fix the problem, even renaming ~/.phoronix-test-suite and examining the source code, to no avail.

Don't use the 'run' command, if you use the 'benchmark' command or run a 'install' prior to that, it should reinstall the tests appropriately....

During benchmark/install, if the compiler version or CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS or CPU or OS changes, tests will be reinstalled. It looks like your problem is just using the 'run' command. The 'benchmark' command meanwhile implies install/reinstall-if-needed and then run.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thank you for quick answer. Using "benchmark", however, did not help.

I have set
      Code:
      <TestSettings>
      <Default>
      <AllowCacheShare>FALSE</AllowCacheShare>
      </Default>
      <Option>
      in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/test-profiles/pts/scimark2-1.3.2/test-definition.xml which appears has done the trick. I do not know if it's appropriate, however.

Comment

Ohhh I mis understood your original question, sorry.

For the cache share, the test is being run the first time. In the case of scimark it should run once but then if you selected multiple options on those additional options it's simply reparsing the data since it already collected the data on that run.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Right. I thought that PTS somehow detected that the test was run in the past and used stale data from previous runs. The message was there since the beginning, but I did not spot it earlier.

The message should perhaps be reworded from "Utilizing Data From Shared Cache" to something like "Using acquired data (the test is run once and it collects all results then, which are now reparsed)" - I did not come with anything better.

Comment

Working...
          X