Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software-Defined Radio Benchmarks, Other Updates This Week

Phoronix: Software-Defined Radio Benchmarks, Other Updates This Week

Per reader requests, several software-defined radio (SDR) benchmarks have been added alongside the 640+ other distinct workloads available for benchmarking via the Phoronix Test Suite and OpenBenchmarking.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL JAM !! Nearly 35 days to run the entire suite ?? That right there would be a helluva burn in for any computer manufacturer's random quality control.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL JAM !! Nearly 35 days to run the entire suite ?? That right there would be a helluva burn in for any computer manufacturer's random quality control.
      Yes if running every test, but the amount of people interested in both running every game test as well as every HPC benchmark on the same system, for example, is quite small.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes if running every test, but the amount of people interested in both running every game test as well as every HPC benchmark on the same system, for example, is quite small.
        Right...but if I were making high end Linux boxes for gaming and workstations I would certainly badge each one with a "I Survived The 35 Day PTS Challenge" and put an actual badge and sticker with that imprinted into the shipping box for the user. Imagine the "Unboxing" videos with that ! LOL !

Comment

Nice article!!
          I need todo some beginner project with luaRadio, seems nice!

Comment

Thank you for this. SDR has become quite popular. I have a few sdr-rtl dongles, nooelec, airspy and SDRPlay modules I've acquired with this hobby.
            Something just fascinates me about radio waves. It's cool that's it's getting mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              Thank you for this. SDR has become quite popular. I have a few sdr-rtl dongles, nooelec, airspy and SDRPlay modules I've acquired with this hobby.
              Something just fascinates me about radio waves. It's cool that's it's getting mainstream.
              Same here. I used to climb the tallest tree in town with my 27.125 Mhz walkie talkie and talk to operators just outside of town.

The ones who operated close to me hated me because my cheap W/T would bleed over all the time.

When my very old 1956 RCA tube radio would pick up stations thousands of miles away, i was enthralled.

Comment

Michael Benchmarks look good. Is there some way to calculate how much power was expended in order to get the MiB/s rating? Like MiB/s per Watt?

I'm asking because some of these systems look like they would run fast, but possibly be impractical for situations where mobility was required, like a portable radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  I were making high end Linux boxes for gaming and workstations I would certainly badge each one with a "I Survived The 35 Day PTS Challenge"
                  He said average, though. Presumably, it'd be much less, for newer, higher-end machines.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                    He said average, though. Presumably, it'd be much less, for newer, higher-end machines.
                    Fair enough. So drop the "35 days" and say "Survived the PTS Challenge". The acronym even works for "Post Traumatic Stress". You could say
                    "Every computer we make passes the PTS so you know your computer doesn't have PTS."

Comment

Working...
                    X