Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV Vulkan Driver Begins Landing Optimizations For AMD Smart Access Memory

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RADV Vulkan Driver Begins Landing Optimizations For AMD Smart Access Memory

    Phoronix: RADV Vulkan Driver Begins Landing Optimizations For AMD Smart Access Memory

    Following RadeonSI seeing optimizations around AMD Smart Access Memory (Resizable BAR) support last month, the Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" within Mesa 21.0 is also seeing similar treatment...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Mesa-21.0-SAM

  • #2
    What does "memory pressure concerns" mean exactly? Granted, I'm not sure if APUs would even benefit from this at all anyway.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know if I can trust AMD Radeon 6x00 with my money. I've had problems with my 5600 XT that causes audio through HDMI to drop out until I turn off my monitor and back on or I switch between two inputs in my home theater receiver.
      https://odysee.com/@GraysonPeddie:6/...dDroppingOut:e

      My NVIDIA GTX 960 video card does work reliably. I never had to switch inputs in my receiver for my GTX 960 unlike RX 5600 XT.

      I wonder if RX 6x00 line of GPUs will have the same problem for 5.1 surround sound through HDMI... I could use SPDIF but I hope I don't have to use it as HDMI audio is the future for home theater PCs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        What does "memory pressure concerns" mean exactly? Granted, I'm not sure if APUs would even benefit from this at all anyway.
        APUs generally have a very small VRAM heap (which is really a carveout with less memory translation, not real VRAM), which is generally not enough for the most important allocations of games, so putting more things in VRAM might cause something more performance sensitive to spill out.

        Comment


        • #5
          Since APUs use system memory for VRAM, it's always been fully CPU accessible.

          Comment


          • #6
            Probably not related but on my system RX 6800 refused to work without enabling a CSM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Fantastic news. Can't wait to see that in action. I have 5700 XT with BAR at 8GB, kernel 5.10. Looking forward for these FPS gains in gaming

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                I don't know if I can trust AMD Radeon 6x00 with my money. I've had problems with my 5600 XT that causes audio through HDMI to drop out until I turn off my monitor and back on or I switch between two inputs in my home theater receiver.
                https://odysee.com/@GraysonPeddie:6/...dDroppingOut:e

                My NVIDIA GTX 960 video card does work reliably. I never had to switch inputs in my receiver for my GTX 960 unlike RX 5600 XT.

                I wonder if RX 6x00 line of GPUs will have the same problem for 5.1 surround sound through HDMI... I could use SPDIF but I hope I don't have to use it as HDMI audio is the future for home theater PCs.
                Sounds like HDMI is still broken even on newer GPUs.

                I had 4 different RX 580s, and 1 RX 560, and all of them were unstable with [email protected] over HDMI with about a dozen certified cables, across macOS, Linux, and Windows. A GTX 1060 worked perfectly though. Of course AMD and vendors are all silent about this being an issue though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

                  Sounds like HDMI is still broken even on newer GPUs.

                  I had 4 different RX 580s, and 1 RX 560, and all of them were unstable with [email protected] over HDMI with about a dozen certified cables, across macOS, Linux, and Windows. A GTX 1060 worked perfectly though. Of course AMD and vendors are all silent about this being an issue though.
                  Then my next card will be NVIDIA. Thanks. I've had audio dropping out randomly even at [email protected] as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Your getting into personal experience.

                    I have a 580 and HDMI and audio over HDMI is just working

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X