Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New OpenBenchmarking.org Is Launching Soon

Phoronix: The New OpenBenchmarking.org Is Launching Soon

Set to be formally introduced next quarter alongside Phoronix Test Suite 10.0 is the long-overdue overhaul of OpenBenchmarking.org -- the biggest upgrade to our public "cloud" platform for benchmark aggregation and result analytics since its debut nearly one decade ago. Before then, a public beta of OpenBenchmarking.org should get underway in the next few weeks while here is an early look at some of the changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ok this is my opinion. I realize that not everybody may agree.

I think the design looks like crap compared to the existing design. Background colors make things a bit more organized and grouped together instead of having all more or less the same color. What IS better is that the new look s a bit more space optimized it seems, so my suggestion is - keep that and bring back the background colors.

That being said I don't use openbenchmarking.org so you may be better off ignoring my comments

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Michael why is there a typo?

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      For new test profiles or those unpopular or from the community without much attention yet, the analytics engine will present a histrogram of the significant results collected so far until there is enough significant data built up for providing the nice breakdown.
      Last edited by tildearrow; 26 July 2020, 01:54 PM. Reason: relax

Comment

Now, let me speak myself.

Short version: Indeed, roughly the same thing waxhead said before.

Long version: What is this "white background" trend? Do you want us blind?
        Honestly, it looks like it is missing something... It is hard to tell where the top and side panels are. The design resembles OpenBenchmarking.org but on paper.

Did somebody tell you to get rid of the background? I kind of feel some big possibly-evil corporation is behind this :<

The combo box is unskinned, therefore it inherits the 1990's bezel design .-. (should not be a problem in Chrome though)

I am glad that you did not insert too much air though, unlike modern websites nowadays. Great space utilization.

So, it's mostly about the background color. I would appreciate to hear a rationale on trashing the background color.

(P. S. same for the PTS test results... like why so much white?)
        Last edited by tildearrow; 26 July 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
          That being said I don't use openbenchmarking.org so you may be better off ignoring my comments
          ....until Phoronix gets a redesign. Then it's gonna get real bad.

Comment

Current site is busted in a few places eg;

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

And is a collection of "result data", but IMO not a tool for "efficiently comparing multiple test result" eg;
            if I want to see an OS speed comparison (maybe some benchmarks on ubuntu vs windows on the same hardware)
            I click on "Subsystems > Operating Systems" and there is some counter intuitive search icon that fails to do anything,
            and clinking on "Most Popular This Month > Ubuntu 20.04" lists some random data which can't be further filtered.
            Or if I search for "kernel 5.4" it states "No test profile found." or unrelated results without quotes.

So basically whenever I want to compare software or hardware I don't visit openbenchmarking.org because I can't figure out how to use it.
            Instead I google it and end op on phoronix.com or some other site.

As for others complaining about the style it's fine though a invert/dark mode would would be nice, if the new site turns out to be functional for me.
            Last edited by elatllat; 26 July 2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
              Current site is busted in a few places eg;

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles
              The entire "showdown" area is replaced and rewritten by the new code paths shown in this article on the test profile and search results page.

That "showdown" area and some of the other areas hadn't been touched since originally writing it in 10 years so fell broken/abandoned in some places with time as well as having to disable some functionality on the current site due to over consuming of server resources. Fortunately, the new analytics engine does much more work offline and caches that to be more efficient on the webserver.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael I am just going to assume that the reason for having no background anymore is a trade secret...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  Michael I am just going to assume that the reason for having no background anymore is a trade secret...
                  More like just hating UI design and still experimenting...
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

For those not liking the white, will look at adding a dark mode option.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X