Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking On Ubuntu Just Became Easier

Phoronix: Benchmarking On Ubuntu Just Became Easier

The Phoronix Test Suite was accepted into the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) universe repository this morning. What this means is that it's now drop-dead simple to benchmark your system running Ubuntu 9.04 or later...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is possible to have ArchLinux package?

Comment

Yay, congratulations and thank you Phoronix!

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
        is possible to have ArchLinux package?
        As luck would have it, this morning I started work on some Arch Linux support... There's a few detection changes needed plus support for Pacman to install dependencies. I expect to get those committed to Git tomorrow or so.

However, you will need to get Arch Linux to package it up and make it available via pacman
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Add some fancy GUI (PC-Mark style). Its not only for geeks, Joe Sixpack likes to benchmark his machine too.

Comment

Hello,

1. I recommend that you create a PPA for the Phoronix test suit, that will always have the latest stable version as packages, and also the testing version as package.
            This way, you'll get more testers and it'll be a lot easier to update the test suits w/o waiting for a new version of Ubuntu.

2. I second the gui (doesn't have to be fancy) - as a separate package , more of a frontend to the test suite.

What do you think about that ?

Idan.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              As luck would have it, this morning I started work on some Arch Linux support... There's a few detection changes needed plus support for Pacman to install dependencies. I expect to get those committed to Git tomorrow or so.

However, you will need to get Arch Linux to package it up and make it available via pacman
              Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou (infinite times)
              You don't need to give us a pacman package.
              Just add it to AUR as a PKGBUILD and it will do

BTW, like the ubuntu package, is there a debian lenny package around ? I am trying to make an LXDE based remaster of lenny for benchmarking purposes. Would be great if there was an easy way to install phoronix test suite. I doubt you will have difficulty in supporting debian AFTER supporting ubuntu ???

Comment

Originally posted by idanmashaal View Post
                Hello,

1. I recommend that you create a PPA for the Phoronix test suit, that will always have the latest stable version as packages, and also the testing version as package.
                This way, you'll get more testers and it'll be a lot easier to update the test suits w/o waiting for a new version of Ubuntu.
                At Phoronix-Test-Suite.com is a Debian package repository of all the latest stable versions.

Originally posted by idanmashaal View Post
                2. I second the gui (doesn't have to be fancy) - as a separate package , more of a frontend to the test suite.
                It will all be in the same package since the GUI integrates quite well with the rest of the pts-core engine, but yes, just think Phoronix Test Suite 2.x
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
                  Just add it to AUR as a PKGBUILD and it will do
                  Hmmm? I am not too familiar with Arch. All of the Arch Linux support is now committed to Git if you want to test it out. But beyond that, I am not familiar with Arch's AUR (and also lack a great deal of time), so any help is appreciated.

Originally posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
                  BTW, like the ubuntu package, is there a debian lenny package around ? I am trying to make an LXDE based remaster of lenny for benchmarking purposes. Would be great if there was an easy way to install phoronix test suite. I doubt you will have difficulty in supporting debian AFTER supporting ubuntu ???
                  The Debian package that is available at Phoronix-Test-Suite.com should work on Debian and any other Debian derivatives. The Ubuntu package should as well, considering PTS is written in PHP.

If anyone wants to help in getting PTS into Debian, that would be most appreciated.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Well, due to the overwhelming response recently for a PTS GUI, I have made the decision to commit a preview of the GTK interface for Phoronix Test Suite 1.8. A early version of the GUI will be committed this week to Git.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X