Continuing To Improve The Benchmark Result Viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I've been thinking about a wall in a few weeks if the ad industry doesn't improve by then....

Otherwise in a few months would likely be premium-only content + PTS focus.
    First I disabled/whitelisted all my advertised as ad blocker plugins and still couldn't get Phoronix ads to appear.

Ended up having to also disable/whitelist all my anti-tracking plugins so now I have Phoronix ads.

I'm upset with one ad already. How TF do they know my home needs improvements?

Comment

Didn't realize the importance of Advertisements to this web site. Too impoverished to offer money & advert clicks, etc. There are other good-will contributions that can equal or better cash returns eg publicity, collaborations, etc.
      Wondering if you can explain your benchmarks more clearly? How do they compare to existing products? Which operating systems can be used? How to check our results with the Phoronix reports & results? Of the very many Phoronix micro tests, which ones are better for what use?
      The other big puzzle is why do the many other technical writers & critics not use your bench testing products?
      It might not seem immediately important to you, but the ignorant masses, including myself, want to help, etc. But we cannot yet. Not much understanding.

Comment

Michael do you have any kind of corporate subscription plan or anything? I know we (RH) have a corporate subscription to LWN, so it's a thing we do. If there *is* one I can poke some people about whether we could sign up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
          Michael do you have any kind of corporate subscription plan or anything? I know we (RH) have a corporate subscription to LWN, so it's a thing we do. If there *is* one I can poke some people about whether we could sign up for it.
          Nothing setup at the moment but would be happy to create such a subscription offering that could allow corporate premium plans, likely blanketed for all users on the corporate IP address(es).
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

RTe: adwalls: note that two types of ad/paywalls exist: the kind that loads NO content unless JS runs and loads ads/verifies subscription first, and the kind that can be blocked by turning off JS, allowing basic text and usually small-resolution images to lead in noscript mode. The former method causes the majority of adblocking users (myself included) to close the tab and stop using the offending site. Forbes.com is a good example of this: I ignore any search results pointing there and if a link takes me there I close the tab and forget about it.

The second type is probably what you want: basic text and whatever else you want to use essentially as an ad for your own site (such as tiny images in the Washington Post style or tiny graphs with unreadably low resolution) for everyone, and the rest of the features for your paying users. I myself always use such sites in their unpaid/limited function mode, and ignore things like video on monetized news sites. I am not employed, have no online financials to the point that I had to let Bountysource bounties for fixing bugs in MATE swim away, and will never trust the ad networks with any system I own.

If you have to shut down because of the virus that sucks but your time is your own and you have to decide what to do with it. Maybe a "sweat equity" model where you do just barely enough work to keep the site running and if people want test results they need to run tests themselves? A "peer to peer" model where people upload test results for what they have and get access to test results for a set time period might work, and take some of the load and electrical expense off Michael might work.

Also, I still think client-side mining scripts running in the open, source code visible at a click, and benchmarking the system for the user might help too, along with any needed instructions to permit Phoronix and nothing else to run mining scripts in Firefox where they are normally going to be blocked.

Comment

Working...
            X