Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing To Improve The Benchmark Result Viewer

Phoronix: Continuing To Improve The Benchmark Result Viewer

The benchmark result viewer has some more improvements that should be of interest to many for digging into more performance details especially between processors and systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ooooh that's really cool! I look forward to those changes.

Comment

Michael, got a scenario with a question for you -- I was wanting to use the PTS to test the read/write speeds on a BTRFS HDD RAID0 with all the Zstd levels using both compress and compress-force to see if Zstd or BTRFS has the better uncompressable data algorithm as well as to see which compression level more closely matches the read/write speeds of the raid0. Also want to repeat all of that using one of the HDDs to see what's a good compression setting for single data storage drives.

Is there a way to test all that within the PTS? So many options and tests available that I thought I'd just ask.

And Fedora is slacking

Code:
      Phoronix Test Suite v9.0.1
      Anecdotally, I've read at various places, random posts over the years from here and Reddit, that Zstd with compress-force is better because the BTRFS algorithm is crappy so I'm curious and have the free time...I think most of us have the free time

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Michael, got a scenario with a question for you -- I was wanting to use the PTS to test the read/write speeds on a BTRFS HDD RAID0 with all the Zstd levels using both compress and compress-force to see if Zstd or BTRFS has the better uncompressable data algorithm as well as to see which compression level more closely matches the read/write speeds of the raid0. Also want to repeat all of that using one of the HDDs to see what's a good compression setting for single data storage drives.

Is there a way to test all that within the PTS? So many options and tests available that I thought I'd just ask.

And Fedora is slacking

Code:
        Phoronix Test Suite v9.0.1
        Anecdotally, I've read at various places, random posts over the years from here and Reddit, that Zstd with compress-force is better because the BTRFS algorithm is crappy so I'm curious and have the free time...I think most of us have the free time
        PTS doesn't manage your mount options, etc. It would just be a matter of running (or scripting) the setup as you want and then just calling PTS to run your benchmarks at each iteration. For that PTS has the batch-setup/batch-run functionality to avoid prompts.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Ooooh that's really cool! I look forward to those changes.
          Thanks
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

PTS doesn't manage your mount options, etc. It would just be a matter of running (or scripting) the setup as you want and then just calling PTS to run your benchmarks at each iteration. For that PTS has the batch-setup/batch-run functionality to avoid prompts.
            That's what I was thinking since I didn't see anything like that. Thanks.

Comment

I'm lifetime premium so it doesn't matter to me, but I don't like it being Premium only.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                I'm lifetime premium so it doesn't matter to me, but I don't like it being Premium only.
                Unfortunately need to find ways to increase premium membership as if the ad revenues remain in their COVID19 downturn for more than a couple months, Phoronix.com won't be sustainable any longer.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Unfortunately need to find ways to increase premium membership as if the ad revenues remain in their COVID19 downturn for more than a couple months, Phoronix.com won't be sustainable any longer.
                  You should consider adding an ad-blocker wall that only effects non-premium users. Now, half of us will circumvent it like we do with the NY Times or WaPo, but the rest of us will just lighten up our settings because we get it.

bridgman arjan_intel AdamW
                  Y'all need to get your bosses to write Michael some checks.

Michael
                  If you can't get help from AMD, Intel, or IBM, I'm out of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You should consider adding an ad-blocker wall that only effects non-premium users. Now, half of us will circumvent it like we do with the NY Times or WaPo, but the rest of us will just lighten up our settings because we get it.

If you can't get help from AMD, Intel, or IBM, I'm out of ideas.
                    I've been thinking about a wall in a few weeks if the ad industry doesn't improve by then....

Otherwise in a few months would likely be premium-only content + PTS focus.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X