Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel with mitigation faster... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi,

I have an old laptop that I am using for the virtual learning of my son because the schools are temporarily closed. In order to squeeze up more performance (it is an old HP-635 laptop, once sold with SLED 11, one of the first sold with Linux) I decided to apply "mitigations=off" in grub. The OS is Debian testing: Kernel 5.4 AMD64.

I am not very expert about PTS but the long-story-short is the only test I did (Gimp because it was the faster... ) ended up with the laptop slightly faster with the mitigation enabled rather than disabled...

Is that normal? Other things I noticed with the "mitigations=off" the 4 tests needed sometimes almost 10 trials with very weird results, while with the mitigations enabled the tests were more consistent and stable (3 trials only)...

I didn't post anything because I purge PTS and its results...
    Last edited by Danielsan; 03-17-2020, 10:01 AM.

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    Other things I noticed with the "mitigations=off" the 4 tests needed sometimes almost 10 trials with very weird results, while with the mitigations enabled the tests were more consistent and stable
    I think I understand why- the mitigations do things like remove best-guess branch optimizations and serialize things, so the execution is more in-order.

Comment

Working...
    X