Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focused HDD testing

Hello,
    I recently got a new machine and some HDDs to play with.
    I'd like to run some benchmarks using PTS but I would like to avoid installing it on the machine directly. I tried looking into the documentation online but didn't find much.
    Ideally I'd like to use LXD or Docker to run tests. Documentation doesn't seem available for either of which though.
    In particular I'm interested in disk benchmarking tests. As the system has 4x SSDs and 4x HDDs I was wondering how to specify which ones to test and how.
    The machine (along with others) will be used to test cluster filesystem, so, for example, being able to benchmark 2x SSDs together or the 4 HDDs together would be a big bonus.
    Is this feasible?

Thank you.

Originally posted by devster View Post
    Hello,
    I recently got a new machine and some HDDs to play with.
    I'd like to run some benchmarks using PTS but I would like to avoid installing it on the machine directly. I tried looking into the documentation online but didn't find much.
    Ideally I'd like to use LXD or Docker to run tests. Documentation doesn't seem available for either of which though.
    In particular I'm interested in disk benchmarking tests. As the system has 4x SSDs and 4x HDDs I was wondering how to specify which ones to test and how.
    The machine (along with others) will be used to test cluster filesystem, so, for example, being able to benchmark 2x SSDs together or the 4 HDDs together would be a big bonus.
    Is this feasible?

Thank you.
    Via ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml (or /etc/phoronix-test-suite.xml if running as root), you can adjust the EnvironmentDirectory to any path where you would like the tests to be installed and benchmarked from. So from there you can easily point it to any mounted disk location or RAID array, etc.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ok, so if I understand correctly I need to run this as
      Code:
      docker run -it --rm -v a/local/path/.phoronix-test-suite:/.phoronix-test-suite -v a/local/path/phoronix-test-suite.xml:/etc/phoronix-test-suite.xml phoronix/pts
      and make the local path wherever on the host system I wish to run benchmarks, which also means filesystem needs to already be deployed/installed and can't be done on an unformatted drive.
      I saw the command user-config-set and user-config-reset but I can't seem to find a complete list of options and explanations, is there documentation for these?

Comment

Working...
      X