Better Wine Benchmarking This Summer For Windows Programs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

The USE_WINE module at this point respects WINEPREFIX. Is there any other useful Wine variable to pay attention to?
    I currently place the following default environment variables in ~/.profile:

# Set Wine Manager Variables
    export WINEMGR_DATA_DIR=`echo ~/.winemgr`
    export WINEMGR_MENU_ROOT=`echo ~`
    export WINEMGR_MENU_REFRESH="xfce4-panel -r"

# Set Default Wine Paths
    export WINEVERPATH=`echo $WINEMGR_DATA_DIR/wine_dflt`
    export PATH=$WINEVERPATH/bin:$PATH
    export WINESERVER=$WINEVERPATH/bin/wineserver
    export WINELOADER=$WINEVERPATH/bin/wine
    export WINEDLLPATH=$WINEVERPATH/lib/wine/fakedlls
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$WINEVERPATH/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

# Set Wine Staging Realtime Priority
    export STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_SERVER=95
    export STAGING_RT_PRIORITY_BASE=95

And then each Wine version has it's own custom environment script. Here's an example:

#!/bin/bash
    export WINEVERPATH=/opt/wine-staging-3.9
    export PATH=$WINEVERPATH/bin:$PATH
    export WINESERVER=$WINEVERPATH/bin/wineserver
    export WINELOADER=$WINEVERPATH/bin/wine
    export WINEDLLPATH=$WINEVERPATH/lib/wine/fakedlls
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$WINEVERPATH/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

This enables me to run multiple Wine versions and programs within their own environment. But it would be near impossible to explicitly take into account custom setups like mine. That's why I'd recommend some facility to execute user setup scripts before invoking a benchmark. And thank you for your quick response!

Comment

Michael you could use the Lutris wine and winde-staging builds. They update pretty quickly after a new release

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
        Michael you could use the Lutris wine and winde-staging builds. They update pretty quickly after a new release
        But this repo does just new 'releases'? So every 2 weeks? I was hoping for a PPA that would be automatically pushing out new builds nightly or at least like weekly, certainly would help in catching regressions quicker.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thank you very much for taking care of wine. I run most of my game with it, this work will be very valuable.

Comment

Michael

Very good

However can put poll asking about which titles like see tested

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              Michael

Very good

However can put poll asking about which titles like see tested

It's more along the lines of what games can be automated nicely... And for my purposes, what games I have access to.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Got an FX-8350 w/a HD 7970 GHz Ed. which is chomping at the bit to get to run some Wine benchmarks, so this sounds excellent!

I'm pretty excited about how the DX9 and DX11 over Vulkan stuff is going to pan out now that my GPU supports Vulkan via RADV. It'll be interesting to see if the Vulkan backend will over time allow DirectX titles to have less overhead via Wine than having going through AMD's Windows drivers. Should that scenario ever come to pass, it'll be quite hilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                  It'll be interesting to see if the Vulkan backend will over time allow DirectX titles to have less overhead via Wine than having going through AMD's Windows drivers.
                  Why do people think that a wrapper can outperform a native driver? It can't. In practice you can expect ~50-70% of Windows performance, in some games that run exceptionally well it can get somewhat close to Windows performance but those wrappers will never be able to match it.

Comment

Spectacular. I love to see PTS getting better year-over-year.

Comment

Michael

This titles have benchmark integrated: batman arkham city - dirt 3 - grand theft auto IV - world in conflict - lost planet extreme condition - devil may cry 4 - resident evil 5/6 - ultra street fighter IV - crysis and maybe others

Last edited by pinguinpc; 14 June 2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X