Better Wine Benchmarking This Summer For Windows Programs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Wine Benchmarking This Summer For Windows Programs On Linux

Phoronix: Better Wine Benchmarking This Summer For Windows Programs On Linux

Improvements are underway for Wine benchmarking to help ensure this open-source program for running Windows apps/games on Linux and other operating systems continues without introducing performance regressions and for being able to quantitatively verify expected performance improvements around its Direct3D/OpenGL/Vulkan code-paths, among other areas of Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2017?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
      2017?
      Whoops, fixed. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Now the only problem is that Windows apps/games themselves don't tend to be particularly benchmark-friendly. Good luck anyways.

Comment

I run Wine with my own Wine Manager script because there isn't any other viable way for me to run multiple simultaneous installations. I know there are things like PlayOnLinux but they're very restrictive and don't integrate Wine programs into the XDG menu. My script solves those problems, and allows you to put Wine programs in the menu with whatever hierarchy you wish. The only restriction is that they appear under "Wine." For example, I have all games under "Wine->Games->Steam64 and Wine->Games->Steam32" etc. And all multimedia programs under "Wine->Multimedia->xxx", all graphics programs under "Wine->Graphics->xxx" etc.

However my Wine Manager doesn't automatically install different Wine versions, or Wine programs. You have to install different Wine versions by hand, and with Manjaro that means you have to compile them manually. You also have to open a command prompt and type "winemgr install -b <bottle name>" which invokes the appropriate Wine environment in the shell. And then you have to manually install the program. So for most people things like PlayOnLinux are unfortunately the only way to go.

In any case I hope the Wine benchmark suite will allow you to set up your own environment and point to whatever Wine installation you want. I have a single environment script for each version that sets the appropriate variables and if I could execute it from the benchmark program that would be awesome! I'd love to be able to benchmark Wine programs.

Comment

Hmmm ... I just tried to post and it was denied for some reason. There wasn't anything objectionable in it, and in fact it had a feature request.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              Hmmm ... I just tried to post and it was denied for some reason. There wasn't anything objectionable in it, and in fact it had a feature request.
              Sometimes the spam filter sends stuff into mod queue, it's up there now.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Very cool stuff. Looking forward to more regular WINE vs Windows benchmarks.

Originally posted by Wine-Benchmarking-GSoC-2018
                Unfortunately the Wine daily build PPA no longer is maintained nor does there seem to be any other daily/bi-daily package repositories for Ubuntu or other tier-one Linux distributions that I am aware of... If anyone has any ideas, feel free to share so then I could also be providing these automated routine Wine benchmarks. I'd much prefer having a public package archive so that others could pull from the same binaries for comparison/reproducing and to eliminate any possible questions by others over the Wine build configuration, etc.
                If you want to use Arch or an Arch derivative, the wine-git and wine-staging-git packages in the AUR might be useful for this. Granted, you'd still be compiling it, but at least it's a publicly available build configuration with version history.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                  I run Wine with my own Wine Manager script because there isn't any other viable way for me to run multiple simultaneous installations. I know there are things like PlayOnLinux but they're very restrictive and don't integrate Wine programs into the XDG menu. My script solves those problems, and allows you to put Wine programs in the menu with whatever hierarchy you wish. The only restriction is that they appear under "Wine." For example, I have all games under "Wine->Games->Steam64 and Wine->Games->Steam32" etc. And all multimedia programs under "Wine->Multimedia->xxx", all graphics programs under "Wine->Graphics->xxx" etc.

However my Wine Manager doesn't automatically install different Wine versions, or Wine programs. You have to install different Wine versions by hand, and with Manjaro that means you have to compile them manually. You also have to open a command prompt and type "winemgr install -b <bottle name>" which invokes the appropriate Wine environment in the shell. And then you have to manually install the program. So for most people things like PlayOnLinux are unfortunately the only way to go.

In any case I hope the Wine benchmark suite will allow you to set up your own environment and point to whatever Wine installation you want. I have a single environment script for each version that sets the appropriate variables and if I could execute it from the benchmark program that would be awesome! I'd love to be able to benchmark Wine programs.
                  The USE_WINE module at this point respects WINEPREFIX. Is there any other useful Wine variable to pay attention to?
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Sometimes the spam filter sends stuff into mod queue, it's up there now.
                    Thank you Michael. I was aware of the filter and just wanted to let someone know. Thank you for taking care of the issue so quickly, I just didn't want it to get lost in the bucket

Comment

Working...
                    X