Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FreeSync For Tear-Free Linux Gaming - Current State In 2017

Phoronix: AMD FreeSync For Tear-Free Linux Gaming - Current State In 2017

If you are thinking of gifting yourself (or someone else) a FreeSync-compatible monitor this holiday season, here's a look at how the AMD FreeSync support is working right now, the driver bits you need to be aware of, and how it's all playing out for those wanting to use this tear-free capability for Linux gaming.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for the review !

Comment

G-Sync and Freesync are not really about "tear free" gaming since traditional v-sync could do that already.
      Instead, they are about reducing the occurrences of "stutter" in frames that can occur when the frame rate varies below the traditional fixed v-sync rate.

They are also referred to as "frame pacing" solutions.

Comment

I'll wait for FreeSync 2. If I'm going to buy a new monitor, rather than just picking up used DVI ones for $10-50 ones from thrift stores, pawn shops, liquidation stores, and the local non-chain used game store,I want LFC (which effectively means no minimum refresh rate) and a maximum latency requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          I'll wait for FreeSync 2.
          No one knows if it will be fully supported under linux with the FOSS stack.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Slightly off-topic, but are there plans to support fast V-Sync techniques (such as the one featured on NVIDIA Pascal GPUs and newer) on Linux? I've seen that on Windows already (in the NVIDIA Control Panel), it's apparently quite efficient at reducing input lag with V-Sync enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              I'll wait for FreeSync 2. If I'm going to buy a new monitor, rather than just picking up used DVI ones for $10-50 ones from thrift stores, pawn shops, liquidation stores, and the local non-chain used game store,I want LFC (which effectively means no minimum refresh rate) and a maximum latency requirement.
              You can have all that without waiting for Freesync 2. You just have to do your research and know what you are buying. There are a lot of shitty Freesync monitors out there, but there are some good ones as well. The best Freesync monitors are pretty much on par with what Freesync 2 is going to be, except Freesync 2 also adds HDR as an requirement even though that has nothing to do with synchronisation or refresh rate.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

No one knows if it will be fully supported under linux with the FOSS stack.
                Hopefully the adaptive synchronisation works the same way so Freesync code works for Freesync 2 as well and hopefully it will work independently of HDR so that doesn't hold anyone back from using adaptive refresh rates on a Freesync 2 monitor in case it's not implemented by then.

Pretty sure Freesync = Freesync 2, only that the latter has a stricter certification process for monitors with some added requirements.
                Last edited by Brisse; 16 December 2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to add that with Ubuntu's 4.15rc3 you don't need to add amdgpu.dc=1 to the boot options it's enabled by default on my FX8350/FuryX rig.. S3 seems to be working fine now either manually or after the time specified in your power settings, unlike rc2 and earlier.

On topic I'm saving my pennies for ryzen by the time I'm ready FreeSycn2/AdaptiveScync will be sorted out and 4k versions will be cheaper.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    Hopefully the adaptive synchronisation works the same way so Freesync code works for Freesync 2 as well and hopefully it will work independently of HDR so that doesn't hold anyone back from using adaptive refresh rates on a Freesync 2 monitor in case it's not implemented by then.

There are so much unknowns that I'm not sure it is a good idea to just sit and wait.

Comment

Working...
                    X