No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux Had Another Innovative Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish one day Fedora would be a rolling distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
      You are 100% right!!! Fedora has been since day one, and continues to be, a perpetually beta product, it's a testing/proving ground for Red Hat's Enterprise products.
      No different from other distributions considered as beta products because they come for their parents. Even closed source commercial operating systems youare using are perpetual beta products.

For proof, just look at this article, Michael claims that 2017 was a huge success for Fedora with "many innovations" yet he doesn't name a single one. An "innovation" is a feature, a change in how things are done, that one product/service has/offers that no one else offers. What are the "innovations" Fedora offers? It finally supports some codecs that other distributions, like Ubuntu, have supported out of the box for years now.
      I bite on this one. When it comes to patented codecs, Fedora, sponsored by Red Hat -US largest OSS company - avoided taking a legal risks often overlooked by some posters failing to realize the hard reality of US patents laws to ship them by default and even include in the official repositories. Basically, you asked Fedora to become a large legal target. Even Ubuntu had to abide to patents laws for distribution in the USA.
      One of innovations of Fedora was the out-of-box support of hybrid laptops via Gnome shell inspiring other distributions to adopt that approach, Gnome Software which now allows a much easier upgrade path got adopted by Canonical as Software update, first major adoption of Wayland protocol on a traditional desktop environment which keeps on improving. Those are few examples benefiting all free and open source ecosystem.

Comment

ubuntu 17.10 and the last fedora gnome are the worst distros I can remember

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
          Maybe it's different now (havent used it in years) but I always felt like Fedora was just a way to get free beta testing out of the "community" for Red Hat's enterprise products. Sorry, corporate entities need to learn how to pay for beta testing. There's no free corporate lunch.
          So when will you hold Canonical and Ubuntu to that standard? It's not a community distro either. It's assembled by Canonical, and they get "free beta testing" out of the "community" with the non-LTS versions for the LTS version.

This is a BS argument.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            Maybe it's different now (havent used it in years) but I always felt like Fedora was just a way to get free beta testing out of the "community" for Red Hat's enterprise products. Sorry, corporate entities need to learn how to pay for beta testing. There's no free corporate lunch.
            Isn't the "you can use this nice updated and polished Linux distro that does not spy you, on whatever systems you want at no additional charge" a valid payment?

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post

So when will you hold Canonical and Ubuntu to that standard? It's not a community distro either. It's assembled by Canonical, and they get "free beta testing" out of the "community" with the non-LTS versions for the LTS version.

This is a BS argument.
              It is not a BS argument, you have simply extended it to other relationships, which in my opinion, as a devout Ubuntu user, is quite valid. Ubuntu non-LTS are for all intents and purposes perpetual beta releases that are meant to act as a testing ground for the LTS releases; same holds true for Open Suse Leap and Tumbleweed verses their Enterprise releases.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                It is not a BS argument, you have simply extended it to other relationships, which in my opinion, as a devout Ubuntu user, is quite valid. Ubuntu non-LTS are for all intents and purposes perpetual beta releases that are meant to act as a testing ground for the LTS releases; same holds true for Open Suse Leap and Tumbleweed verses their Enterprise releases.
                FYI OpenSUSE Leap is a "free" version of the latest Enterprise release (and its major versions change with every Enterprise release service pack), like CentOS is a straight free clone of RHEL.

That said, the BS argument is "making a free beta for community = bad", in case you missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

That said, the BS argument is "making a free beta for community = bad", in case you missed it.
                  You got it!

Comment

Working...
                  X