It's Been Four Years Since SteamOS Began Shipping With Not Much To Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moilami View Post
    Linux gaming is better than ever, but I bought Nintendo Switch Though, it is a Christmas present for kids.
    That's FreeBSD gaming...

Comment

I've been running SteamOS since they launched Brewmaster and it's been mostly smooth sailing. Once I had to run apt update && apt upgrade manually and wireless XBox 360 controller doesn't work but other than that it has been zero maintanence.

It's great if you just want to downlad and play Linux games from Steam and not tinker with the OS. It can also stream games to my laptop without install which is nice when I need the TV for something else.

To me it seems the biggest problem is the catalogue which is only 1/8 of all Steam titles. Othrwise it's quite a hassle free experience.

Comment

Valve puts the same 0.5% of effort proportionally to the amount of people using steam in linux

Comment

Originally posted by Zplay View Post
          I buy my games on GOG now so I don't even need Steam anymore..
          Good one. :=)
          I'd like to 100% approve but my experience with Linux gaming from GOG and Steam is sadly different: Steam offers a big advantage in providing a single, streamlined method to install and play: download and click. Whereas on GOG, you have some debian package, or simple tars, or even some snapchat/etc. Same with HumbleBundle.
          Of course, this absolutely not guarantees on Steam that the game will actually run smoothly. But at least the install part is simpler.

Note though I didn't check if GOG upgraded their Galaxy client to provide a Linux version or not yet.

As for Michael's question: no I do not have any hope. For 2018 at least.
          My guess on Valve's point of view is...
          - Best case, they are waiting for all the ongoing modern technologies and drivers to stabilize before pushing again a big effort. Which won't be before 2019.
          - Worst case (sadly I think that's the most probable), they put their "drive away from Microsoft" strategy on hold for until forever because they decided that, considering the slight change of stance of Microsoft on its proprietary market, the necessary investment to properly support a quality OS and the potential userbase, ROI is not worth the cost.

Comment

What else needs to be changed about SteamOS? It's not really supposed to be anything other than up-to-date drivers, Steam itself, and any possible libraries needed by games. I never used SteamOS but I don't see why there are any expectations that it would offer anything new or interesting.

Comment

Gabe remained silent about Windows 10 too, even though it is an even greater "catastrophe" than 8, in the sense he meant it. More restrictive, more invasive, and used by a lot more people. If Windows 8 was enough to start SteamOS, Windows 10 should be the best reason to push it as much as possible. Yet, nothing.

Comment

SteamOS is useful in targeting games; in that--if they run on steamOS, they can run on Ubuntu out of the box or with some minor tweaking. Plus some older titles are now launching for steamOS so developers are getting another set of revenue from new purchases. As it is 'new' to us. Because with limited gaming time i don't want to spend an evening figuring out wine dependencies, and googling everything under the sun to get something to run. I just want to hop on and play.

Comment

It is not just about steamOS but also about the Steam Machine were the OS is supposed to run. Since the first launch of the Steam Machine and the innovative Steam game pad everything seem to be at the same point. SteamOS + SteamBox need two things, performing drivers and AAA titles. The former are arriving but titles are still missing, unfortunately the wheel is not well rounded. With very few steam machines outside no one will port games on SteamOS, and without games no one will produce further Steam machines (which are basically compact pc), consequentially also the effort of Valve is in proportion of that situation. The potential is huge but the way on how unleashing it is still unclear.

Comment

I do all my gaming in Linux now, thanks to Valve's move to Linux. I only run 2 games through Wine currently, and of course, last week running one of those 2 in Wine prompted me to Steam Survey and not when I launched Steam from Linux. Ugh...

Anyway, I'm happy with my assortment of games available in Linux, and with games like F1 2017 still coming, I will likely continue to be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                      I still think SteamOS is an important part of the strategy of convincing game devs to target to Linux. But we still need to figure out how to get people to want a Linux-based device for its own merits.
                      I know how we can get people to want Linux for gaming. We need to make BTRFS more mature and make it the default file system on popular distributions. And we need systemd to help integrate the desktop environment even better with Linux. Also Wayland as the display server performing typical everyday rendering tasks will definitely impress prospective gaming users... And while not needed for gaming, the philosophical implications of good open source OpenCL support should be appealing too. And we're already down to 5 popular widget toolkits and 4 popular desktop environments to give everyone a sort-of standard look-and-feel desktop experience.

Need I say more? If ordinary non-computer savvy gaming people know about must-have essential features like BTRFS, system management, and boilerplate display technologies, they'd switch in droves for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X