No announcement yet.

SUSE Rolls Out New Version Of Their In-Kernel Boot Splash Screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rephrase because I believe we share the same point of view: for servers I prefer the full text boot start-up and some ILO, iKVM tools embed a ssh daemon.
    However, if graphical bootsplash happens ssh is useless.
    Manufacturers procedure is to use their java software, through a web browser, which is damn slow.
    So this patch of a new graphical bootsplash could make admin worst.

Comment

Originally posted by cyring View Post
      I rephrase because I believe we share the same point of view: for servers I prefer the full text boot start-up and some ILO, iKVM tools embed a ssh daemon.
      Manufacturers procedure is to use their java software, through a web browser, which is damn slow.
      The graphical bootsplash is of course optional and you have to explicitly enable it by passing the "quiet" boot option. No admin in their right mind would do that on a server, so I fail to see how this can even affect administration.

Comment

Originally posted by cyring View Post
        By default it is disabled and requires a kernel commandline command to be enabled.

Most distros will just add it to their grub's kernel commandline option list ( currently it has already "quiet" and "splash" to hide the most they can, and start up Plymouth bootsplash)

Comment

Working...
        X