Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

VGPU... Uhm... probably (?)

http://docs.nvidia.com/grid/5.0/grid...kvm/index.html
      https://www.redhat.com/archives/libv.../msg00939.html

Here they say:
      "Physical GPU shared among multiple virtual machines"

Doesn't this apply to host too?
      Could just run your main desktop in the VM as opposed to the host.

Comment

So, you are installing Linux, and then installing Windows in a VM, but you want to get native Windows performance and to take over your main monitor with Windows to play a video game?

Why not just dual boot install Windows and Linux? No matter how low-latency you can get KVM to run at, you are always going to lose some degree of performance. This seems like a highly complicated solution to an imaginary problem.

Linux on your main monitor and Windows on your second monitor actually makes a bit of sense. But this sounds a bit absurd.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
          Some users on r/VFIO have had success with it. Depends on the hardware configuration I think. Older laptops often had no direct external outputfrom the dGPU, it had to go through the iGPU framebuffer and then to the output connection.
          All modern laptops are like this. From like 2013 onwards or so the physical screen (both internal and external ports) are connected to the iGPU, while the "dedicated" GPU is a headless 3D accelerator.

Comment

Originally posted by clintar View Post
            Could just run your main desktop in the VM as opposed to the host.
            It would defy most of the point. If you give Windows the host seat then you can just use VMWare or Virtualbox for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Why not just dual boot install Windows and Linux? No matter how low-latency you can get KVM to run at, you are always going to lose some degree of performance. This seems like a highly complicated solution to an imaginary problem.
              It's inconvenient, and also gives Windows full control over the hardware, which might not be the best idea for many privacy advocates (think of ME and such).

With KVM (and an external switch to pipe 2 connections to the same screen) you get around 5% of performance hit.

This "Looking Glass" thing is going to let KVM compete with VMWare and Virtualbox, as there is quite a bit of people that would really like to stay on Linux but has 1-2 applications he can't do without for his work/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
                . . . if only AMD had SR-IOV enabled on consumer boards (even if it was limited to 2)
                A consumer card from AMD with SR-IOV enabled would be great. I'd buy one!

But absent that, hopefully, Intel's forthcoming discrete GPUs will offer GVT-g on at least one model that’s affordable for a general consumer.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  All modern laptops are like this. From like 2013 onwards or so the physical screen (both internal and external ports) are connected to the iGPU, while the "dedicated" GPU is a headless 3D accelerator.
                  My laptop (Metabox P650RE, based on a Clevo model; i7-6700HQ+nVidia 970m) definitely has its HDMI and two mini DisplayPorts connected to the nVidia GPU. In Linux I have to have the 970m enabled to use them.

Can't wait for a decent Raven Ridge laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    It would defy most of the point. If you give Windows the host seat then you can just use VMWare or Virtualbox for Linux.
                    Why not both be VMs?

Comment

Originally posted by clintar View Post
                      Why not both be VMs?
                      Because now you will need a way to switch between 3 GUIs instead of just 2: the hypervisor (probably using terminal), Linux VM, Windows VM.

I don't see how this would be better. Either OS must be the host.

Comment

Working...
                      X