No announcement yet.

Looking Glass Released For KVM Frame Relay, High Performance Windows VM Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Glass Released For KVM Frame Relay, High Performance Windows VM Gaming

Phoronix: Looking Glass Released For KVM Frame Relay, High Performance Windows VM Gaming

Geoffrey McRae has published the code to the "Looking Glass" project he's been working on as a "extremely low-latency" KVM frame relay implementation for guests with VGA PCI pass-through...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Up to now those wanting to use a secondary graphics card pass-through setup with a virtual machine had to use a separate monitor
    I do this with one monitor, just use a different interface, like HDMI with host(dom0) and DVI for guest(domU). and use the "source" button to switch between VM and host.

I use Xen, because when I tested KVM, it had performance issue.

Comment

If you have multiple sources monitor, it is ok; i have to use an hardware switch,because mine only provides dvi and vga input; but my ouptuts are all digital.
      Anyway... both methods seems a PITA to me.
      Looking glass would allows you to have KVM in a window at near full screen native performance.
      Definitely nice!

Still waiting for a way to share the same videocard... I think i've read of some project about that in the past, but i can't remember well where.

Comment

Originally posted by jockinator View Post

I do this with one monitor, just use a different interface, like HDMI with host(dom0) and DVI for guest(domU). and use the "source" button to switch between VM and host.

I use Xen, because when I tested KVM, it had performance issue.
        Are there any good guides for how to set up a system with PCI GPU Passthrough with Xen?

I have never used Xen personally. I don't know how it works. However, it sounds like it might be a good idea for me to learn about it and try it out to see how the performance compares.

The last time I tried to make such a setup, I used KVM and followed the various guides on the VFIO blogs and subreddit and such.

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
          Still waiting for a way to share the same videocard... I think i've read of some project about that in the past, but i can't remember well where.
          You thinking about the Intel one? https://01.org/igvt-g/blogs/wangbo85...release-q32016

I want something similar for my vega, if only AMD had SR-IOV enabled on consumer boards (even if it was limited to 2)

Comment

Is it possible to use the dedicated GPU from a laptop to be passed it to windows ?

Comment

Ayyy this is great news! Finally my whole setup is gonna be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                Is it possible to use the dedicated GPU from a laptop to be passed it to windows ?
                Some users on r/VFIO have had success with it. Depends on the hardware configuration I think. Older laptops often had no direct external outputfrom the dGPU, it had to go through the iGPU framebuffer and then to the output connection.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

You thinking about the Intel one? https://01.org/igvt-g/blogs/wangbo85...release-q32016

I want something similar for my vega, if only AMD had SR-IOV enabled on consumer boards (even if it was limited to 2)
                  Yeah, i remember of intel... quite useless.
                  Maybe my memory is flaky, but i remember the same from nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post

Yeah, i remember of intel... quite useless.
                    Maybe my memory is flaky, but i remember the same from nvidia...
                    Not thinking of nvidia grid are you?

Comment

Working...
                    X