Latest Steam Client Update Rolls Out Shader Pre-Caching For OpenGL/Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Steam Client Update Rolls Out Shader Pre-Caching For OpenGL/Vulkan

Phoronix: Latest Steam Client Update Rolls Out Shader Pre-Caching For OpenGL/Vulkan

The latest Steam client release on Wednesday rolls out OpenGL and Vulkan shader pre-caching by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pardon me the ignorance, what's different between Direct3D and OpenGL that makes this seems a non-issue on Windows? Os is it more related to the OS/drivers rather than the API?

Comment

As a habitual git user (updated usually at least once a day) I'm probably best just disabling all of the shader cache, as its guaranteed the Mesa version will change between runs anyway

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
        Pardon me the ignorance, what's different between Direct3D and OpenGL that makes this seems a non-issue on Windows? Os is it more related to the OS/drivers rather than the API?
        D3D has a shader cache too. You just don't hear about it hear because D3D is a windows tech and this is a Linux/OSS focused site

Comment

Shaders in D3D are precompiled afaik.

Comment

I wonder if there could be something compatible enough on NIR level before the more driver-specific optimization layers

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              If i understood what I've read, it's compiled to a bytecode. I guess the closest thing we have in OpenGL and Vulkan would be SPIR-V/NIR, right?

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post

If i understood what I've read, it's compiled to a bytecode. I guess the closest thing we have in OpenGL and Vulkan would be SPIR-V/NIR, right?

​​​​
                Something like that. I believe it basically boils down to this:
                OpenGL: compile on the fly, each driver can do their own optimizations as they see fit, slower load times
                D3D: ship compiled, less optimized, faster load times

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                  Precompiled to byte code, but they still need to be compiled to the gpu isa the user is actually running. Processing byte code is a bit faster compared to human readable glsl, though, and windows drivers have had shader caches for ages, i assume.

Comment

Well, based on my first loading of Deux Ex:MD on Windows these days (to compare performance with Linux), shader compilation is a thing on Windows too, or that first loading would not be so slow.

Comment

Working...
                    X