KWin On Wayland Without X11 Support Can Startup So Fast It Causes Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you use some compositor on your install of XFCE? Or other solution for screen tearing?
    Xfce (lower case, not caps) has its own compositor, and there's also the option of using something like compton. That's completely irrelevant to the topic or what debianxfce responded to though. It was just debianxfce's daily plug/preach for Debian, xfce, and then using Ubuntu PPA's on top of all that, because that will lead everyone to enlightenment (the state, not the desktop).
    Last edited by DanL; 13 December 2017, 04:20 PM.

Comment

This reminds me of the "problem" I had when upgrading to an SSD, where the PC would boot so fast that things like wifi and network mounts didn't have time to connect.

Comment

Regarding your comment that, "...hopefully by the end of 2018 we'll see most day-to-day use-cases supporting native Wayland quite well."

I work for a company that provides a large suite of CAE tools on both Linux and Windows (and Mac to a lesser extent). We use both Tk and Qt in various areas for our GUI.

Until Tcl/Tk supports Wayland, we'll be running under X. I suspect this will be for a long time.

And I suspect that even once Tcl/Tk provides a Wayland supporting back end, it will be another release or so before we get to remove all the X11 specific code we have.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          To me it's not funny, I'm using plasma5 (because I hate gnome 3) and it's much more sluggish than gnome 3. i.e. the main menu or especially the calendar which takes up to 3 seconds to show up when first clicked. It indeed seems that something not being slow is a problem for the kde project.
          Okay, that is definately not normal. Something is wrong with your setup. kde shouldn't feel any more sluggish than gnome. There is a speed setting for animation speeds for things like that. I suppose that it is possible that it got turned way down some how (can't remember where it is in the settings), but I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            To me it's not funny, I'm using plasma5 (because I hate gnome 3) and it's much more sluggish than gnome 3. i.e. the main menu or especially the calendar which takes up to 3 seconds to show up when first clicked. It indeed seems that something not being slow is a problem for the kde project.
            I had plasma getting painfully slow after an update, 5.16 or 17. I had to nuke my config (.config/plasma* and kde.org) and it sure fixed things.
            Try with a clean user if it's better first.

Comment

Originally posted by jjmcwill2003 View Post
              Regarding your comment that, "...hopefully by the end of 2018 we'll see most day-to-day use-cases supporting native Wayland quite well."

I work for a company that provides a large suite of CAE tools on both Linux and Windows (and Mac to a lesser extent). We use both Tk and Qt in various areas for our GUI.

Until Tcl/Tk supports Wayland, we'll be running under X. I suspect this will be for a long time.

And I suspect that even once Tcl/Tk provides a Wayland supporting back end, it will be another release or so before we get to remove all the X11 specific code we have.
              There is reason not to go full Qt on this suite? I imagine that you guys started in Tcl and rewrite everything in Qt is not worth it?

Comment

A good thing. It's always good to see that you aren't the bottleneck.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

With TDE you can configure even more than Xfce. My Q4OS installation uses only 150-200 MB after booting to the desktop, so it's lighter as well. Q4OS also just pushed a new theme to make TDE look way more modern (it's a Plasma 5-like theme).
                  I get 184MB on a two second boot with LXQT/openbox along with automount, power management, desktop, wifi, printing, and bluetooth manager. It must go lower! Especially if they ever finish porting lxqt-panel and a window manager like application such as openbox to wayland to finally get full wayland support. Under sway with all the lxqt components enabled I get like 230MB but no panelbar/statusnotifier bar and the proccessor runs hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post
                    I get 184MB on a two second boot with LXQT/openbox along with automount, power management, desktop, wifi, printing, and bluetooth manager. It must go lower! Especially if they ever finish porting lxqt-panel and a window manager like application such as openbox to wayland to finally get full wayland support. Under sway with all the lxqt components enabled I get like 230MB but no panelbar/statusnotifier bar and the proccessor runs hotter.
                    I don't think you can just port a window manager to Wayland. There are no window managers on Wayland so they have to write a compositor.

Comment

Wayland compositors are much leaner and cleaner than the aging X Server code-base that dates back 30+ years, granted most of the XWayland code is much newer than that.
                      I thought Xwayland was just the X server with an extra bit of API tacked on so it can act subordinate to the Wayland server instead of interfacing directly with the kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X