It Looks Like VLC 3.0 Will Finally Be Released Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Too big of a release. We had to wait way too long for this.
    I wish we had more releases in between.
    Some of these features and improvements we could probably have had long time ago.

I wish VLC and GIMP had better release management.
    To be fair, I think many of these things are directly related to each other. For example, 360 videos tend to be very high resolution and might take advantage of 10-bit HEVC, which may benefit from OpenGL 4.4 or zero-copy decoding. That being said, it may have made more sense to release a version of VLC containing these "dependencies" first, and to release it sooner.

I do agree that the release cycles are a bit long though.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      Finally :-) And it works on Wayland if the video is rendered instead of the main window in a second one.
      I hope they default to that until the relevant bug is fixed

Comment

This is precisely why I switched away from VLC to gnome-mpv.
        VLC is a huge bloated mess with infrequent releases. I just want to play local video files with vdpau (or NVDEC) with support for keyboard shortcuts. I don't need HTTP2, systemd or almost 90% of the features VLC has.

Comment

Originally posted by archie2016 View Post
          What does 'Optional systemd support.' mean?
          systemd support is meant for VLC's web-interface, which runs as a daemon.

Comment

I hope that they'll finally allow to place subtitles in fullscreen below the video, in the black bars, something almost all other video players do...

Comment

Chromecast support finally! I've been casting videos from Chrome tab streaming for too long. It's a bother to mux/teanscode everything into a Chrome-supported format.

I just hope it can transcode transparently when needed and supports subtitles for Chromecast output.

Comment

Originally posted by archie2016 View Post
                What does 'Optional systemd support.' mean?
                In addition to what MoonMoon said, VLC is also a media server, so it has a headless media server daemon too.

Comment

I’ve switched to IINA. Vlc hasn’t changed much in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
                    I’ve switched to IINA. Vlc hasn’t changed much in a long time.
                    (macOS user spotted)
                    For those wondering, it is a MPV derivative.

Comment

I suppose I should say I used mpv on Linux. I don't know what it is about vlc that just irks me. The preferences pane with non working or duplicate options. Though HEVC support is nice!

Comment

Working...
                      X