AMDGPU-PRO 17.50 vs. RADV/RadeonSI Radeon Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
    Feral put some work into RADV and it shows in these benchmarks; Dawn of war and F1 are also Feral games and didn't even work on AMD's driver. Hopefully the RADV guys can catch up.

PS: Why wasn't the AMD Vulkan driver opensource to begin with like Intel's? Or does Intel have 2 separate Vulkan drivers (sorry can't remember if they do)?
    Was legal'ish reasons as I understand it for why it took so long for this AMD Vulkan driver to be opened up in clearing code review.

Intel's Linux Vulkan driver is ANV that's open-source while Windows Intel driver has its own closed-source Vulkan driver.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chimpy View Post
      PS: Why wasn't the AMD Vulkan driver opensource to begin with like Intel's? Or does Intel have 2 separate Vulkan drivers (sorry can't remember if they do)?
      The AMD Vulkan driver shares code with a number of other APIs and OSes. If we had written a Linux-only driver it probably would have been open source from the start.
      Test signature

Comment

AMD needs a Ryzen like GPU equivalent refresh. My eyes hurt seeing Nvidia ahead in benchmarks, ... :-/
        Still won't buy any Nvidia as closed source binary junk is not acceptable for me. Still wish AMD more luck with their next GPU silicon, ..!

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

really, after seeing these numbers, i'd reassign the remaining (linux) pro gl driver developers to mesa...
          You mean the one part-timer who ensures the windows OGL drivers keeps running on linux? They won't abandon -pro OGL until Mesa runs on Windows aswell (if ever).

Originally posted by mlau View Post
          the vulkan driver's low performance is surprising, though, given that the codebase is shared with windows...
          The kernel driver is not the same though, you won't get 1:1 performance.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            The question is still how well/easy is it to install the pro vulkan driver along with the open source GL drivers.
            At least for radv, a vulkan driver just comes down to one *.so and one *.json file which points applications to it, soo I guess it will be trivial for both to coexist.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
              AMD needs a Ryzen like GPU equivalent refresh. My eyes hurt seeing Nvidia ahead in benchmarks, ... :-/
              Still won't buy any Nvidia as closed source binary junk is not acceptable for me. Still wish AMD more luck with their next GPU silicon, ..!
              Amd needs to correct their voltage from 1.2v that may cause a nuclear accident some day, to a reasonable 1v plus minus something.

Comment

I would have preferred a straight radv vs. pro comparison on 2 or 3 cards to make the graphs easier to read.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  I would have preferred a straight radv vs. pro comparison on 2 or 3 cards to make the graphs easier to read.
                  While in that case others would have complained I did not include any NVIDIA comparison results for perspective :/
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

You mean the one part-timer who ensures the windows OGL drivers keeps running on linux? They won't abandon -pro OGL until Mesa runs on Windows aswell (if ever).
                    FYI in general Mesa compiles and works on Windows, but as far as drivers concerned AFAIK it's only software. Theoretically AMD could as well make up their Windows' part in Mesa.

Comment

It would be good if GCN 1.0 and 1.1 cards were added into the mix as it is a large percentage of the AMD market share in linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X