Intel Rolls Out Pentium Silver & Celeron CPUs Powered By Gemini Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Rolls Out Pentium Silver & Celeron CPUs Powered By Gemini Lake

Phoronix: Intel Rolls Out Pentium Silver & Celeron CPUs Powered By Gemini Lake

Intel today has announced their new Pentium Silver and Celeron processor line-up powered by their Gemini Lake microarchitecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A 200MHz clock bump with a supposed 15% IPC increase (don't know how much we can trust Intel on this one) could be quite a nice low-powered chip.

Comment

HW decoding ?

Comment

You can keep throwing precious metals at the name all you want, Intel, but you're not going to convince anyone that a Celeron is more exciting than celery.

I'm not saying the product isn't worth getting, but let's not glorify what is basically their slowest desktop product.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          You can keep throwing precious metals at the name all you want, Intel, but you're not going to convince anyone that a Celeron is more exciting than celery.

I'm not saying the product isn't worth getting, but let's not glorify what is basically their slowest desktop product.
          yes and they are a perfect budget solution. You can use them for media center or office computer. It is even possible to play some older, low end games on them. And the best part - they are fanless. No extra noise and low power solution. I use such processors from 2 previous generations (Baytrail and Apollo lake) and I like both of them! I am looking forward to see whats next, and if it wasnt the bad taste from the ME/Minix inside them I would consider this *upgrade*

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
            yes and they are a perfect budget solution. You can use them for media center or office computer. It is even possible to play some older, low end games on them. And the best part - they are fanless. No extra noise and low power solution. I use such processors from 2 previous generations (Baytrail and Apollo lake) and I like both of them! I am looking forward to see whats next, and if it wasnt the bad taste from the ME/Minix inside them I would consider this *upgrade*
            You say this like its something new. AMD has also offered low power fanless embedded x86 chips for many many years now. The newest AMD offering "Merlin Falcon" is from 2015, but it does 4K decode and encode, supports DDR4-2400 with ECC, and TDP of only 12 watts. It even has GCN Radeon R7 onboard which has excellent mainline Linux kernel support. Pretty impressive stuff.

Celeron... yawn.

Comment

Originally posted by cygn View Post
              HW decoding ?
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_...Celeron_family

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                You say this like its something new. AMD has also offered low power fanless embedded x86 chips for many many years now. The newest AMD offering "Merlin Falcon" is from 2015, but it does 4K decode and encode, supports DDR4-2400 with ECC, and TDP of only 12 watts. It even has GCN Radeon R7 onboard which has excellent mainline Linux kernel support. Pretty impressive stuff.
                That's good on paper. Are there any boards with it around that support at least ECC and don't cost an arm and a leg?

Because industrial/embedded are always great, but they are usually not available unelss you buy in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                  And the best part - they are fanless. No extra noise and low power solution
                  Don't underestimate this. I have a HTPC with a now aging AMD AM1 Athlon with a big passive heatsink (it's a 25W part so that works) and a semi-passive PSU that's always passive in that system and a SSD. It's possible to build quiet computers with normal parts but nothing beats the awesomeness of a small computer you can't tell is on or off without looking at the status light.

I really wish GPU vendors would make more low-end GPUs with gigantic passive heatsinks, those are rare than the few that exist tend to throttle and overheat. I know you can't have your cake and eat it too but I'd be fine with slightly less performance and more massive heatsink if it was totally silent all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

Celeron... yawn.
                    I'm guessing you must own one. Can you give everyone a recommendation on what you can buy with one of these in it? (or anyone else for that matter)

Comment

Working...
                    X