Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Rolls Out Its New HiDPI Daemon

Phoronix: System76 Rolls Out Its New HiDPI Daemon

Linux system vendor System76 has released their new HiDPI daemon for their laptops and desktops to improving the display experience on multi-monitor configurations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome, this is something which we really need.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

As a user that has a laptop and wants to connect it to a high-res screen (not necessarily 4k) and all times I try I have to change settings in a way that the applications on the laptop screen become unreadable (text sizes and such).

It's an AMD one, but still I like the fact that someone is doing something in this regard.

Comment

And why is everybody so happy when:
        1. It is still X-dependent when we should be trying out Wayland to iron out what does not work properly?
        2. The daemon is not being upstreamed anywhere?
        3. There is no code repository for non Pop! users to compile and use on their own distributions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          And why is everybody so happy when:
          1. There is no code repository for non Pop! users to compile and use on their own distributions?
          You haven't looked thoroughly? 'Cause it's part of the system76-driver repo: https://github.com/pop-os/system76-driver

Comment

This seems to be implemented as a python daemon process. I wonder whether if there is a better way to achieve the same without an extra process running in the background especially interpreted code.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
              This seems to be implemented as a python daemon process. I wonder whether if there is a better way to achieve the same without an extra process running in the background especially interpreted code.
              It's a very old repository. Their newer projects are written in Rust, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was eventually rewritten in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                I guess the best way would be to integrate this into the compositor.

Comment

I use my laptop with two monitors when I'm at office (ans I disable laptop screen) and I don't have any problem with Gnome since 3.24

Comment

I guess this either changes the resolution of the laptop panel or uses scaling. It would be interesting to know which of those two.

Comment

Working...
                    X