No announcement yet.

The Maß Is Empty: Munich Switching Back To Windows After ~14 Years With Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a real problem with libreoffice compatibility issues, and while there is Office 365, it's no replacement for Word. Still, I doubt it was so bad they couldn't just live with the few compatibility problems they had here or there.

Comment

Well, it definitly didn't have anything to do with microsoft moving their german head quarter to munich last year....
      Microsoft Germany today announced that it’s moving into a new headquarters. The company’s new headquarters in Germany is now situated at Schwabing, which is a district of Munich. Microsoft’s new HQ has 7 floors with a space of 26,000 square meters and 11 roof terraces. The company’s new HQ is designed for collaboration, which the company …

Comment

The Linux use wasnt defended vigorously enough probably.
        I'm a Linux user I have a hard time defending its use other than - "but Windows is so sh*t!!"

This is something that will be a sore awakening for the workforce, once theyre on Windows theyll propably panic. Which is why Linux use must be defended by the users in cases like this.

Sad!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
          This is something that will be a sore awakening for the workforce, once theyre on Windows theyll propably panic.
          As long as icons are all in the same place on the desktop, none will panic.

Comment

I doubt there's any "bribery". In an enterprise environment when dealing with 100s, if not 1000s of machines, Windows is still easier to manage than Linux.

I'm a Linux user, and still have ended up using Active Directory + Windows over anything Linux when needing to manage many computers. Group policy, sso, software management, automated driver installation, roaming profiles, folder redirection, shared printers etc > anything Linux has.

Oh, running a bunch of shell scripts on login/boot to try replicate the above is not a proper solution.

Comment

Because of LibreOffice i guess.

Did you ever try opening some pptx files on Libre? It is a mess.

Main reason of Windows usage is not Windows itself , their solutions just dominating the market and became standart.

They're also serving Microsoft Office for MacOS but they're doing it without worries because people can't put MacOS on their existing machines easily.

However , if they do the same thing for Linux ( which they won't ) why office users want to pay for Windows itself too? They will just put a Linux distro and buy Ms Office for Linux.

Comment

Britoid
                I admit, I've never had to manage a fleet of machines used by staff, I've only ever managed fleets of servers.

But wouldn't LDAP plus one of Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Saltstack work just fine? If not, why not? I use Saltstack at work and it can manage accounts, permissions, drivers, network shares, etc... From one server I can see resource usage, disk space, network connections, current processes, and so forth on everything. What does Group Policy and Active Directory offer that this does not?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                  I doubt there's any "bribery". In an enterprise environment when dealing with 100s, if not 1000s of machines, Windows is still easier to manage than Linux.

I'm a Linux user, and still have ended up using Active Directory + Windows over anything Linux when needing to manage many computers. Group policy, sso, software management, automated driver installation, roaming profiles, folder redirection, shared printers etc > anything Linux has.

Oh, running a bunch of shell scripts on login/boot to try replicate the above is not a proper solution.
                  Aaaand you're wrong. Linux has its own AD equivalents, this for example:

A totally unexpected RedHat project, btw.

Comment

Is Linux that hard to manage? 'Cause French schools (middle and high schools, don't know about the rest) have Linux servers. Actually, it's more like 4 Linux servers and one single Windows server, but that's still a majority.

Comment

Originally posted by pgoetz View Post
                      I'm guessing the Microsoft sales reps were "very kind" to the city manager.
                      The new major of München who directed this Linux-killing-thing, is a personal friend of the Microsoft Germany boss.

Also the recent IT study for which München paid a lot of money and which "suggested" to kill Linux and re-load Windows, has been done by a company named Accenture which is an official partner of Microsoft (Germany).

Noch Fragen, Kienzle?

Dirty politics at its "best".
                      Readers knowing some German could read details in the blog of the German IT security professional and OpenSource friend Mike Kuketz:

LiMux: Aus für Linux in der Stadtverwaltung 9 November 2017

And some more about LiMux on his blog.
                      Last edited by Hadrian; 24 November 2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X