Report: Ryzen "Raven Ridge" APU Not Using HBM2 Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    As for HBM memory i still expect AMD to offer such an APU. This simply due to every APU type processor being bandwidth starved to date. In other words they need faster RAM subsystems to really get any value out of todays faster GPUs.

The real change will come when enough HBM can be embedded to serve all system needs. Imagine a chip with 8 or 16 GB of HBM and no external RAM bus. That is the future!
    Exactly. People forget that HBM2 is not only a performance improvement (higher bandwidth and lower latency), but also a power-saving technology. Its interface is much wider & lower-clocked, and you needn't drive the signals as far. This + eliminating memory chips & traces from the motherboard makes it a great fit for mobile... if not for the (current) price premium.

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    As for cost and availability it is a simple matter of demand driving production. The more hardware using HBM the better for its long term survival in the market. HBM will go the way of the Dodo if demand isnt there, so in a way AMD needs to expand HBM usage to prevent it from becoming a niche and expensive solution.
    You're getting this info from where, exactly? HBM2 is currently in short supply, with more production already in the works. There's currently too much demand!

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Because the Intel+Vega APU will have HBM2. That means I'll have to buy Intel once again: not a very smart move from AMD.
      *It means you'll have to buy an Apple.

Can we please stop comparing ultra-fucking-mega-high end shit with the same market penetration of Iris Pro with low and midrange APUs from AMD?

Comment

Is anyone really surprised by this? When AMD first announced Zen, there were claims of 16C32T, integrated R9 class gpu, possibly dual gpu and 16 GB of HBM. Instead we got an 8C/16T (top cpu for the main stream), poor AVX2 implementation, memory bandwidth starved design, and in a truly ironic twist, which makes me wonder if the rumors where actually referring to that cpu, an announcement that Intel will be building an apu with integrated AMD gpu and on board HBM, which based on early leaks seems like will perform between a GTX1050 and a GTX1060, meaning that Intel's apu, using AMD technology will perform much better than AMD's apu using AMD technology. LOL!

It's time to boycott AMD products until they get their act together.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
          Is anyone really surprised by this? When AMD first announced Zen, there were claims of 16C32T, integrated R9 class gpu, possibly dual gpu and 16 GB of HBM. Instead we got an 8C/16T (top cpu for the main stream), poor AVX2 implementation, memory bandwidth starved design, and in a truly ironic twist, which makes me wonder if the rumors where actually referring to that cpu, an announcement that Intel will be building an apu with integrated AMD gpu and on board HBM, which based on early leaks seems like will perform between a GTX1050 and a GTX1060, meaning that Intel's apu, using AMD technology will perform much better than AMD's apu using AMD technology. LOL!

OK, I am not an amd nor an Intel fan, have computers from both cpu makers. Currently 2 Intel boxes (I7 7700k, and this laptop with i7-5600U) and 2 Ryzen boxes (1700 and 1700x). But gawd am I tired of this bullshit from Intel fans against AMD, and from AMD fans towards Intel. What I like from both companies is the opensource effort they both do. This work benefit us the consumers. And actually the work from both camps benefits both sides. So please stop, and do the trolling at the toilet where this belong with the other S...!. This is a linux forum, try to behave like an adult, and let the trolling belong with the kids at the windows forums, like wccf,

Kind regards
          Brut.

Your friendly linux neighbor.

Comment

Sometimes I think people truly do not understand how market segmentation works.....

16GB of HBM cost about as much as the entire Raven Ridge laptop the article is about.

I'm sure AMD will absolutely release laptops that compete with they hybrid models they are making with Intel in the future. It's very likely they will wait for the increased clock speeds of second generation Ryzen as those are gaming systems. The economics of such a system would put it at a lower price that the directly competing AMD + Intel system with the exact same graphics solution but with a much more tightly integrated AMD CPU.

The Threadripper product has 2 dummy dies under the IHS and I'm sure they could toss some graphics in there using Infinity fabric. Keep in mind "R9" graphics would be around a RX470 - 570 with their current products and the rumored smaller Vega would be around there. The cooling systems for TR4 that would be able to accommodate such a product are just now coming out.

The market for that product would be fairly limited, but there are people who have the cash and the need for all those cores, but who would be happy with 1080p gaming performance.

Comment

I seriously can't tell if you are serious or joking.. It sounds serious but I cannot believe that literate person would be capable of producing such.. opinions..

Comment

When AMD first announced Zen, there were claims of 16C32T, integrated R9 class gpu, possibly dual gpu and 16 GB of HBM.
                Not a single one of those "claims" came from AMD. Please use a different word to make it clear you are talking about gossip, rumor and random internet comments.

Instead we got an 8C/16T (top cpu for the main stream), poor AVX2 implementation, memory bandwidth starved design
                8/16 was quite a bit ahead of other mainstream CPUs at the time and other vendors are just responding now. The "poor AVX2 implementation" seems to outperform the direct competition at the time enough to make me question your use of the word "poor", and 2-channel is still the norm for consumer/mainstream parts. TR has twice the bandwidth, again in line with competing CPUs.

If you are saying we suck because we did not live up to internet gossip and rumour that's an interesting way of looking at things.
                Test signature

Comment

For my part, I am interested in low-end mid-range GFX performance to go with a decent memory system. Im expecting to pay well over 1000AU$ a unit as I'd like business grade like the T-series IBM (not the trash Lenovo make).

My only disappointment is the current advertised range of offerings not being high-end enough. Which is to say I'm not disappointed at all.

Wouldnt mind seeing this style of APU like the E350's as well. I loved those units, like Gigabyte's offerings. Just ran a little to hot for my environment (desert)
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                    No idea why we are suddenly talking about HBM in a Vega APU. It was never supposed to have HBM. However, I completely agree with the single-channel memory being very unfortunate. What were they thinking? Hopefully a memory upgrade will be possible.

I've been using Raven Ridge for quite a while now (an engineering sample though). The graphics support is there, but the full driver should be in kernel 4.15. For Mesa, you can choose between 17.1, 17.2, and 17.3. Go with 17.3 if you have the choice. LLVM 5.0 or later is required.

There is the Intel CPU with an AMD GPU with HBM in a laptop coming up. It's big in the news and should satisfy the high-end segment.

If you want the best integrated graphics with a Zen CPU, Raven is the choice.
                    I have actually downloaded the service manual from HP website, it clearly shows a dual memory module config ... so I don't get why they claim it is single channel ? If they bought a model with one 8GB memory stick, it speaks something about the validity of their tests ...

Comment

Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
                      I have actually downloaded the service manual from HP website, it clearly shows a dual memory module config ... so I don't get why they claim it is single channel ? If they bought a model with one 8GB memory stick, it speaks something about the validity of their tests ...
                      FYI: you can place 2 DIMMS on the same memory channel too.

A lot of AMD APU laptops have 2 goddamn DIMM slots, but they are SINGLE memory channel regardless. Check with Speccy from windows, or google up terminal commands to do that from Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X