No announcement yet.

The Impact Of HDD/SSD Performance On Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Ubuntu inherits from Debian to perform security updates automatically at startup. On my Laptops running Debian and SparkyLinux this slowed down the startup between 20 and 60 (!) seconds, because it could only be accomplished when network connection was up and repository server answering. As I am anyway daily checking for updates (manually), I disabled this behaviour and gained that even my 10 year old Laptops (with their old HDD) have startup times of only between 30 and 45 seconds (kernel startup around 6 sec, userspace around 30 sec, according to systemd-analyze).

Instead of testing with a fresh Ubuntu installation maybe first tune it at least a little bit, if Ubuntu herited the above mentioned from Debian:

Code:
    systemctl disable [put here the following entries]
    apt-daily-upgrade.service
    apt-daily-upgrade.timer
    apt-daily.service
    apt-daily.timer
    unattended-upgrades.service

Comment

The startup times which "systemd-analyze" produce are very misleading. For example here are two my startup times reported by "systemd-analyse":
      Code:
      Startup finished in 6.367s (firmware) + 139ms (loader) + 2.587s (kernel) + 34.529s (userspace) = 43.624s
      and

Code:
      Startup finished in 6.312s (firmware) + 140ms (loader) + 2.565s (kernel) + 4.307s (userspace) = 13.327s
      The strange thing is that both times GDM was ready in about 8s (stop watch) which means the second time is very precise when subtracting the firmware time.

So how does "systemd-analyze" produces the first number?

Ubuntu starts the service "apt-daily" every time the system boots for the first time each day. When i began to write this message my PC was started the first time on this day an "apt-daily.service" was started in background. My system was ready in about 8s and not 37s but "systemd-analyze" counted the running "apt-daily" service as a userspace program and added it the userspace time.

After the second boot "apt-daily" was not started and "systemd-analyze" reported the "correct" time for userspace (~7s for arriving in GDM).

As the german saying goes: "Wer misst, misst Mist!"
      English translation: "Who measures measures rubbish!"

Never trust some numbers when you have not the slightest idea how these are produced.

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
        The startup times which "systemd-analyze" produce are very misleading.
        Never trust some numbers when you have not the slightest idea how these are produced.
        So why didn't you do systemd-analyze plot? Manuals too overrated these days?

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
          39 seconds boot time on a ssd, thats awful!!
          my system with a 850 evo ssd boots in ~10 seconds
          I tried the latest ubuntu 7.10 on a 1,833 GHz Core 2 Duo with 5400 rpm HDD. I got 30 seconds. What does that tell you? Ok I cheated a bit, disabled apport, closed source firmware tool, modem manager (have broadband) and networkmanager. It's just, Ubuntu is a pile of bloat by default.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            39 seconds boot time on a ssd, thats awful!!
            my system with a 850 evo ssd boots in ~10 seconds
            This. My desktop with mechanical drives is up in like 45 seconds.
            My laptop with Crucial MX100 SSD (512GB) is up in around 10 seconds too.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              I tried the latest ubuntu 7.10 on a 1,833 GHz Core 2 Duo with 5400 rpm HDD. I got 30 seconds. What does that tell you? Ok I cheated a bit, disabled apport, closed source firmware tool, modem manager (have broadband) and networkmanager. It's just, Ubuntu is a pile of bloat by default.
              Heh, that's still better than Windows 10.
              On a 5400 RPM drive it's just embarassing, it takes like a minute to show the login, and then another minute or so to stop lagging (i.e. still loading stuff) after it has reached desktop.

And this on a Lenovo Ideapad 310 (quadcore AMD apu) from 2015. Same hardware + SSD boots in less than 10 seconds on both Windows and OpenSUSE.

Comment

So why didn't you do systemd-analyze plot? Manuals too overrated these days?
                Why don't you ask Michael this question? I already know that "apt-daily" is to blame for this numbers and the time measured be "systemd-analyze" is not the true time the system is ready to use.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Heh, that's still better than Windows 10.
                  On a 5400 RPM drive it's just embarassing, it takes like a minute to show the login, and then another minute or so to stop lagging (i.e. still loading stuff) after it has reached desktop.

And this on a Lenovo Ideapad 310 (quadcore AMD apu) from 2015. Same hardware + SSD boots in less than 10 seconds on both Windows and OpenSUSE.
                  I could easily do even better, but didn't have time, only 5 minutes. It's sad that Ubuntu does so little configuration during the installation. It could detect all hardware and optimize the services. I mean seriously, disabling modem drivers and that closed firmware blob tool improved boot time by around 20-30 seconds. It should have seen that my integrated iGPU and ethernet based internet doesn't need either. It could also have deleted the extra language packages in the background after the first startup, not before rebooting to new OS. So sad.

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
                    I already know that the time measured be "systemd-analyze" is not the true time the system is ready to use.
                    It just shows when graphical.target is up. If you take a look at the plot or critical-chain output, you'd see this. It really depends on which login manager and other services you're using, how you launch them, and so forth.

Comment

It just shows when graphical.target is up. If you take a look at the plot or critical-chain output, you'd see this. It really depends on which login manager and other services you're using, how you launch them, and so forth.
                      No, it doesn't. My system always boots in 8s to GDM even when "apt-daily" is running and "systemd-analyze" says that the system took 30s to boot. And Michael seems to have used just the output of "systemd-analyze" and not "plot" or "critical-chain" to get the number.

Comment

Working...
                      X