Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Wants Feedback On Its Device Memory Allocator Project

Phoronix: NVIDIA Wants Feedback On Its Device Memory Allocator Project

After apologizing how they handled the EGLStreams proposal for NVIDIA Wayland support, James Jones of NVIDIA is trying to get the development of their proposed generic device memory allocator library back on track...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

woot there is movement. I hope they can reach a consensus quickly

Comment

The performance of eglstrams was always terrible for me. I could barely get gnome on Wayland running on a 1070. Radeonsi on the other hand has always been awesome on Wayland.

Comment

You likely weren't using llvm 5. But it doesn't matter since there won't be GPU accel for xwayland anyway. Just forget nv + wayland.

Comment

Arent the compositor side extensions to vulakn wsi , going to make this unncesary ?

Comment

im talking about this https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-Docs/issues/294

Comment

Interesting to me how Nvidia suddenly cares about the opinions of Linux users, and even Nouveau. Back in Linus' "fuck you Nvidia" days, the available technology and drivers at the time gave Nvidia enough of an edge where they could be their usual selves and just brush it off like "I don't care what any of you think, you're doing it my way because you don't have a better option". But now, AMD+Intel are almost fully caught-up with Nvidia (in terms of performance and features), and Wayland is starting to be more widely adopted. Ignoring hardware limitations, we're very close to a point where AMD will be a resounding better option for Linux (regardless of your principles) and where Nvidia will be holding back development to the point where they're resented rather than "begrudgingly accepted".

Comment

It's nice to see Nvidia willing to help nouveau for that. Only them are needing a new API to support wayland, so it's perfectly logical they help others implement it. I really hope they continue helping nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
                  It's nice to see Nvidia willing to help nouveau for that. Only them are needing a new API to support wayland, so it's perfectly logical they help others implement it. I really hope they continue helping nouveau.
                  Nvidia wants to help Nouveau... Good... Tell them that proper reclocking is needed in order to get the latest cards working at acceptable speed using nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                    You likely weren't using llvm 5. But it doesn't matter since there won't be GPU accel for xwayland anyway. Just forget nv + wayland.
                    Isn't that the point? If this new library is adopted then NVidia will work pretty well with Wayland (including xwayland if it gets ported).

Comment

Working...
                    X