Ryzen/Threadripper Prices Have Been Dropping Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen/Threadripper Prices Have Been Dropping Ahead Of The Holidays

Phoronix: Ryzen/Threadripper Prices Have Been Dropping Ahead Of The Holidays

If you have been wanting to build a new system before the end of the year, AMD Ryzen CPU prices -- including the high-end Threadripper -- have been dropping in recent days in at least the US and EU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could it be that....10nm versions will be announced in Jan?

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
      No, the 10nm announcement is clearly scheduled for April 1.

Comment

Probably it will be 12nm and in Feb.

Comment

Nah, this is probably just a reaction to the release of Intel Coffee Lake.

The AMD value proposition is still light years ahead of where it was before Ryzen came out. But even though they cut the single-threaded performance gap by a huge amount, it still exists.

...I'd love to be wrong, though.

Comment

If you're at all familiar with how silicon manufacturing ramp-up works early next year is when they start making the engineering samples ahead of full production some time later. So-called "risk production" of a manufacturing node, which is what the recently announced 12 nm FD-SOI process is supposed to go into early next year, is production before the manufacturer can guarantee that the node can offer acceptable yields or volumes for a mass market product. It's generally used for pre-production samples when you want to ensure that you can get your product to market as fast as possible after the node leaves risk production status.

In other words Zen on the new 12nm FD-SOI is probably coming next spring/summer and Zen 2 on 7nm is coming in early 2019.

More probably than not this is just AMD responding to how Intel decided to rush Coffee Lake to volume production in an effort to re-capture mindshare despite only having their very high end chipsets ready rather than anything which could be described as a "range".
            Last edited by L_A_G; 20 November 2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Dropping prices ... if anyone is aware of any good deals on memory, I'm all ears. If you need 256GB in your workstation, then cpu price is not a factor

Comment

Hope the unstable Ryzen system bugs can be solved soon, because I would be interested to replace my Intel server soon. But right now my desktop suffers from random freezes and it won't wake up if the display turns off (but this is maybe a bug of the AMD GPU).

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                  Dropping prices ... if anyone is aware of any good deals on memory, I'm all ears. If you need 256GB in your workstation, then cpu price is not a factor
                  This. CPU prices might be dropping, but RAM remains prohibitively expensive. I'm starting to wonder if we won't see unified memory from Intel (or HP/IBM) before their price goes back to what they should have been.

Is there some sort of agreement between RAM manufacturers to keep the prices high (production low), or is there another factor, like smartphones driving its prices high?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    But right now it won't wake up if the display turns off (but this is maybe a bug of the AMD GPU).
                    I have the same issue, but not sure what's the cause. It wakes up from sleep (susped) without problem, but if only monitor turns off and PC is still working, it can not be restored

Comment

Working...
                    X