Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Another intel believer in lines...
    Most of my PCs aren't even x86... so... shut it. freaking block list is slow to update.

Comment

I want the time back that I spent reading these comments.

Comment

Kudos to David & AMD for getting the code to this point, it ain't been an easy path. Fingers crossed for it to get merged. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Only Vega+ with 4.15 would be using it by default... But GPUs back to GCN 1.1/CIK do support the DC code paths.... Eventually DC will probably get flipped on for all supported hardware to have atomic mode-setting, etc.
          That wasn't the question. Yes, this code benefits Polaris out of the box. Yes, Vega is dead in the water without this the DC turned on, but Polaris is also knee capped without it turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I did hurt intel beliver with my opinion, very good:-) Be your day always as bad as it is when you write that kind of shit to the internet.
            I have a Ryzen 1800x and RX480 system, you assclown. This has nothing to do with what systems people use, but with your continuous, non-relevant comments in threads that have nothing to do with what you're spewing. Just like GhostOfFunk.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

I have a Ryzen 1800x and RX480 system, you assclown. This has nothing to do with what systems people use, but with your continuous, non-relevant comments in threads that have nothing to do with what you're spewing. Just like GhostOfFunk.
              Why are you feeding the troll, my friend?

Just ignore and move on.

By replying to trolls, you are only flooding the forum with additional meaningless/spam replies, just like the trolls themselves are also doing.

Comment

True, I will restrain myself from now on. Hopefully user blocking will be working soon.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I feel like AMD is a little too deep into their development to give up at this point, but they might think twice about making such an investment again. On the other hand, people like Dave and Linus have a reputation to hold, and they both understand that when it comes down to something as critical as this, you don't release the software and then patch it. They both probably understand that if the code is working properly and gets accepted, it may never get cleaned up. For a monolithic kernel, such messes could pile up quickly.
                  From what I understand, there's actually incentive to merge it because it will be easier to keep it updated along with the kernel which means that any other development that goes along with it will also be kept more in sync with latest kernel development. Yes, they could dump it and forget it, but assuming they have plans to continue development, it's actually better for both AMD and kernel devs to get it merged.

Comment

I also wonder sometimes if they'll stick with it. Consider the case from the outside. AMD tries to do things the 'Linux' way (which is right, IMO). But it ends up taking over a year of back and forth, and the code still isn't in mainline. So quite a lot of work to integrate with the Linux way of doing things. But a better result in the end.

Whereas Nvidia does everything their own way, and as a result doesn't have to communicate and/or coordinate with anyone. So they can use their Windows driver code essentially unchanged, with little work on the Linux side.

In the end, the group doing the right thing (AMD) are having to do much more work, and some would say are essentially being penalized for doing things the right way. And the group doing the wrong thing (Nvidia) have much less work to do, and as a result have a more performant driver with quicker releases (but not the Linux way of doing things).

Might make a company wonder if doing the right thing for Linux is actually worth their time. I'm not sure what the proper solution is, TBH. I'm glad that AMD is doing what they do, and I support them by buying their hardware. But in some ways I could also see a company saying "F*ck it" and just not supporting Linux at all.

Comment

Yeah I just bought a 580 because they are doing this and it will be replacing my 960.
                      I could have gone 1060 for same money but this.

Comment

Working...
                      X