No announcement yet.

AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15 Kernel - 132,395 Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15 Kernel - 132,395 Lines Of Code

Phoronix: AMDGPU DC Pull Request Submitted For Linux 4.15 Kernel - 132,395 Lines Of Code

One day after submitting the main DRM feature pull request for Linux 4.15, David Airlie of Red Hat has submitted the secondary pull request that would feature the long-awaited introduction of AMDGPU DC into the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm getting a little scared now... Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Airlie sent in AMDGPU DC as its own pull request in case its rejected by Linus Torvalds it wouldn't have delayed the rest of the new Direct Rendering Manager material.

Comment

I am in both sides of the argument when it comes to this AMDGPU DC pull request. On one hand you say "Effin yes, good on you AMD" and the other just pure and simple quality control for our precious kernel that makes Linux great. As it is disappointing if it gets denied it just means the developers in AMD have to work harder and to bring even cleaner code but I wonder how long are AMD willing to shoot (if it's worth it) for the Linux platform.

Thinking about this a little more further I really don't care if it does get accepted or denied, this is a big subject since it's a big load to take in so in that sense it's sensitive. In the end of the day Linus Torvalds is just a barrier for better code to the kernel, nothing else and nothing more... right?

Comment

Guys get the soda and popcorn, whatever Linus answer is it is going to be entertaining

Comment

Fingers crossed...

Comment

GPUs older than Polaris will never use this correct?

Comment

Bets are on.

I think Linus will accept it but he will made a very long and furious statement about it.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                GPUs older than Polaris will never use this correct?
                Only Vega+ with 4.15 would be using it by default... But GPUs back to GCN 1.1/CIK do support the DC code paths.... Eventually DC will probably get flipped on for all supported hardware to have atomic mode-setting, etc.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Only Vega+ with 4.15 would be using it by default... But GPUs back to GCN 1.1/CIK do support the DC code paths.... Eventually DC will probably get flipped on for all supported hardware to have atomic mode-setting, etc.
                  But it can be switched easily for those who have compatible hardware.
                  with influx of vega hardware for 2018 it's in the interest of Linux to have the support.

Curious to Linus's comment like everyone else here

Comment

*looks at the vega64 that just arrived* I really do hope they get this pulled

Comment

Working...
                    X