AMD EPYC 7351P Linux Performance: 16 Core / 32 Thread Server CPU For ~$750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    By the time a Supermicro board would get OC support with CoreBoot, the CPUs would likely be obsolete. Besides, I don't think the VRMs on these boards could handle an overclock.
    We have direct acces to the CPU MSR registers, you don't need motherboard bios support for overclocking, just update the pstates on boot (you can change cpu clock and cpu vcore). I do it on my Ryzen as it can't be overclocked with my motherboard (really good binned CPU cause a bug on wich if you change the vcore via offset, you end up stuck in P2 at 1.55 or 2.2 depending of your CPU). Pstates overclock work around that bug but when your board don't support that you have to do it in software.

Look for zenstates.py

Note that it does not work if you run an hypervisor like me (Xen). In that case you have to modify the hypervisor source to tweak pstates.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post

We have direct acces to the CPU MSR registers, you don't need motherboard bios support for overclocking, just update the pstates on boot (you can change cpu clock and cpu vcore). I do it on my Ryzen as it can't be overclocked with my motherboard (really good binned CPU cause a bug on wich if you change the vcore via offset, you end up stuck in P2 at 1.55 or 2.2 depending of your CPU). Pstates overclock work around that bug but when your board don't support that you have to do it in software.

Look for zenstates.py

Note that it does not work if you run an hypervisor like me (Xen). In that case you have to modify the hypervisor source to tweak pstates.
      True, but BIOS would make life easier. Also, I suspect Epyc might have ceiling on attainable multipliers. But it sure would be nice to know whether hardware is capable of such thing.

Then there could be a market for 1P-8 RAMchannel board for Epyc from Asus,Asrock, Gigabyte etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        sure i know the threadripper line get the best selected chips but still this feels bad the epyc 16 core chip has a higher price to produce but still it is sold cheaper ...
        I wouldn't count on that, price of production is likely not even half of the price of the part, just like with most advanced technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
          But it would be helluva niche if AMD would open Epycs for voerclocking. Supermicro's 2P board is €600. Put two 24-core models on it, overclock them under watercooling and you got yourself computer for Star Trek Enterprise 1071-E ;o)

Yes, I know Supermicro was never overclocking name, but I'm hoping CoreBoot will be able to remedy this...
          Overclocking isn't as cool as you might think on a massive core count system, on properly parallelized tasks you'd hit thermal ceiling pretty damn fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
            Then there could be a market for 1P-8 RAMchannel board for Epyc from Asus,Asrock, Gigabyte etc...
            What I can easily imagine is a dedicated mining board with cheapest epyc cpu and ~60 pcie x1 slots for at least that many GPUs

Comment

I had to do a quick search to see what the price differences were:

On Newegg - the Xeon Gold 6138: $2,709.99

If the Epyc 7351 is only going to cost $750... whoa.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Overclocking isn't as cool as you might think on a massive core count system, on properly parallelized tasks you'd hit thermal ceiling pretty damn fast.
                On an older Haswell 5960X with a pretty decent water cooler, if I hit it with Prime95 with AVX it heads to 85°C in about 20 seconds. Which is why it's overclocked to 4.1 GHz instead of 4.3. And that's just 8 cores.

Comment

micheal is it possible to use XMP profiles or similar on EPYC? Or is it limited to 2666Mhz ddr4?

Higher DDR4 clocks would make Threadripper a little more competitive also.

Comment

Whoa.. It takes two of the most powerfull Intel cpu's to match an AMD.
                    nice going.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      With nice watercooling this shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X