Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Releases VM VirtualBox 5.2

Phoronix: Oracle Releases VM VirtualBox 5.2

It was more than one year ago that VirtualBox 5.1 was released while today it's finally been succeeded by a new feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. Has there been any improvements to the Linux guest graphics driver or is it still really buggy / broken?

VMware Workstation / Player 14 was very recently released too. I switched to using all my computers exclusively inside a full-screen Linux VMware VM on Windows with my shell replacement software from here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xae...2961032652097/

It works really well with VMware's SVGAII vGFX kernel driver in Linux 4.13 that exposes OpenGL 3.3 and decent performance to Linux guests.

I'd like to port my software to work with VirtualBox but only if the Linux guest video driver is in decent shape.

Michael, any chance we might see new VirtualBox 5.2 vs VMware Workstation Player 14 benchmarks at some point?

Comment

Honoring requests of sync to disk from guest software might be a good feature to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        Nice. Has there been any improvements to the Linux guest graphics driver or is it still really buggy / broken?

VMware Workstation / Player 14 was very recently released too. I switched to using all my computers exclusively inside a full-screen Linux VMware VM on Windows with my shell replacement software from here:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xae...2961032652097/

It works really well with VMware's SVGAII vGFX kernel driver in Linux 4.13 that exposes OpenGL 3.3 and decent performance to Linux guests.

I'd like to port my software to work with VirtualBox but only if the Linux guest video driver is in decent shape.

Michael, any chance we might see new VirtualBox 5.2 vs VMware Workstation Player 14 benchmarks at some point?
        I thought VMWare was deprecating VMWare Workstation (but keeping Player)? I was surprised when I read this post that a new version was coming out.

They skipped v13 (must be the Apollo 13 effect). VMWare has allowed several bugs to pass on through their version updates since v9. It's clear they are updating the windows, but not cleaning the shades. After Virtual Box hit v5, I stopped using VMWare completely.

Comment

As far as I heard, VMware Workstation development has been outsourced to China.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I thought VMWare was deprecating VMWare Workstation (but keeping Player)? I was surprised when I read this post that a new version was coming out.

They skipped v13 (must be the Apollo 13 effect). VMWare has allowed several bugs to pass on through their version updates since v9. It's clear they are updating the windows, but not cleaning the shades. After Virtual Box hit v5, I stopped using VMWare completely.
            VMware apparently laid off some of the Workstation and Fusion staff but not all and they pushed out the v14 last month:

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Wo...ase-notes.html

My software is already based on it and it has further optimizations for Skylake and Ryzen CPUs, which my 6th Core i7 laptops use.

Another thing interesting about VMware Linux guests is that Wayland and Xwayland appear to work on it as well. Does VirtualBox 5.x support Wayland on guests by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
              Another thing interesting about VMware Linux guests is that Wayland and Xwayland appear to work on it as well. Does VirtualBox 5.x support Wayland on guests by chance?
              Dunno. Considering the difference in price, I dont much care either. As good as VirtualBox has become, there aren't many reasons left to stick with VMware Workstation. I've been a VMware user since 1999, running Workstation v2 or v3 on a 400 Mhz Pentium 2, but I switched to VirtualBox after Workstation v11.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Dunno. Considering the difference in price, I dont much care either. As good as VirtualBox has become, there aren't many reasons left to stick with VMware Workstation. I've been a VMware user since 1999, running Workstation v2 or v3 on a 400 Mhz Pentium 2, but I switched to VirtualBox after Workstation v11.
                If you're not using VMWare in a commercial setting, VMWare Workstation Player is free. You didn't mention your use case.

As far as performance goes, I've found VMWare to be much better compared to VirtualBox when using Microsoft Office 2013/2016, Firefox, Chromium, and UWorld Question bank (a java program). I would possibly consider using VBox if it could get its performance up just because it's open source, but I can't justify switching to something that doesn't cut it performance wise. I'm not really doing anything "heavy" and VBox just feels unresponsive. I get stuttering/lagging in the UI even with 6GB ram and 2 CPU cores (Core i5). I don't experience this in VMWare.

Since even the UI is slow even when nothing is open on a fresh boot, I do wonder if the issue is just the VBox 3D Driver.

Comment

And still Drag&Drop between Linux host and Linux VMs broken...

Comment

I used to run VMware but it is not very convenient on Fedora - either it will not work with some new version of GCC or it won't work with some new version of the kernel. Then you have to go on the web and search for patches, workarounds, etc... Recently I switched to VirtualBox. I hope that it will work better.

Comment

Working...
                    X