• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
    lol, you better trust amd instead of random websites

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
      darkbasic Both FreeSync and G-Sync were done by wrong people, it is technology that display manufacturers should have introduced and GPU vendors followed. Unless AMD, Intel and nvidia come up and follow one standard, none of those technologies have future
      outside of your imaginary world freesync is an amd name for vesa standard called adaptive sync

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        Would be awesome if Nouveau could bring industry standard implementation to Nvidia users.
        it is a hardware feature, nouveau couldn't do it

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Do you have dyslexia or something because the article mentions that proper open source Vega support (which is only lacking display stuff) is being mainlined with 4.15 right in the first sentence and that's supposed to be released before the end of the year.

I get a feeling that somebody is complaining for the sake of complaining, not because there's something to actually complain about.
          Do you have low IQ or something because proper support includes freesync, and the article says it is coming later, and gives no timeframe. So by the looks of it, vega2 will be out about same time as freesync support.
          Last edited by varikonniemi; 17 October 2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            It's a hardware feature of the monitor and display interface. With modern Nvidia cards, the hardware is there. Only reason Nvidia doesn't support it is their business model. The missing piece is software, which Nouveau could theoretically provide.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              Nvidia does support variable refresh rates. While they insist on the G-Sync module on desktops, it miraculously isn't required in G-Sync capable notebooks using eDP.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

Nvidia does support variable refresh rates. While they insist on the G-Sync module on desktops, it miraculously isn't required in G-Sync capable notebooks using eDP.
                Notebook and AIO products require special display panels, certified and approved by Nvidia. 99.9999% of the notebook panels don't meet the requirements.

Comment

This is an attractive aspect of dynamic refresh rates which could benefit even non-gamers, but it's been largely ignored by developers. The only way currently in existence to play video with dynamic refresh rate is to use Windows 10 and the video player that comes with it, and that's not a realistic proposal because it's severely lacking in other, more important features, so it's better to use something like MPC-HC instead, even if you loose the dynamic refresh rates.

Also, if you have a high refresh rate display with 120 or 144hz, video playback of common formats will be perfectly smooth anyway, as long as the software is capable of delivering those frames in a timely fashion.
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the default video output mode of mpv be perfectly sufficient? I'm pretty sure it presents/draws frames at the video framerate no matter what, I notice it when I resize an MPV window playing 24p content. GIve MPV a try maybe, it'd be nice to see even if it's only on Windows for now.

Comment

This is why I had to switch to Nvidia. I waited for over a year for the AMD driver debacle to be over, but I could see it would be years more before it was. It's really a shame, I liked AMD.

Comment

This statement seems a bit misinformed. Freesync 2 is Freesync, only with stricter requirements on the monitor manufacturers, because they were too lax before which resulted in a lot of cheap monitors with sub-par Freesync implementations which I think is in nobody's interest.

And what exactly is proprietary in this case? The certification process for licensing the trademark, or the technology that drives it, because it's still VESA Adaptive Sync you know...
                      Are you 100% sure it's just Adaptive Sync + certification? That's what I first thought but information is very scarse and I've never been able to get someone from AMD to confirm it.
                      Will be possible to create an (uncertified of course) monitor 100% compatible with the Freesync 2 specs without any kind of IP?
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X