Core i7 8700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X For NVIDIA/Radeon Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by humbug View Post
    Michael, was the RAM running at 3200Mhz on the Ryzen system for these tests? It's needed for Ryzen to perform well in games.
    Unless you specifically set it in the bios it will run at something lower by default.

At launch people had problems getting RAM to run at this speed but I believe it's better now if you update to the latest BIOS for your respective motherboard.
    Yes, all my recent tests for quite a while now have been using DDR4-3200 ever since the BIOS updates improved the situation.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It was running DDR4-3200.
      Thanks for your answer. So most of the games seem to be in a CPU bottleneck all the time - the technical game quality seems to be a problem on Linux...

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      And only using the NVIDIA open-source driver is outright silly.
      I would call it dogmatic from an open source point of view. When you get your hardware sponsored it might look silly though.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
        I would call it dogmatic from an open source point of view. When you get your hardware sponsored it might look silly though.
        Should he also stop testing AMDGPU PRO and pretend AMD supports OpenCL then?

Comment

As soon as Kernel 4.15 is released I think that would be reasonable. I think it would be a spur for hardware companies to lead them in the right direction when we just look at the open source drivers as soon as they are mature enough. AMD would surely withstand their OpenCL Linux bars being in a bad state or unavailable for a short time.
          Nvidia should also be able to live with their drivers being crap. But for both companies the only way to improve these benchmark results will be the improvement of the open source drivers... And it would also be kind of easier for them to set priorities internally because there is only one way left.

By the way: This headline says "Linux Gaming" but what does the Nvidia closed source driver have to do with the Linux kernel?
          On the other hand as AMDGPU is in the kernel it is reasonable to speak of "Linux Performance" when using AMD GPUs.
          Last edited by oooverclocker; 17 October 2017, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post

one process yes. most games just push rendering to another thread, so it makes them use 2 threads, ofc there are games that take advantage of more, but 90% of opengl games wont use more than 3 threads, thats what i have seen at least
            For disgrace this is true and for this high single thread performance still needed, maybe in future change

Comment

its because opengl games aren't threaded and singlecore perf counts, so higher frequency will win + intel has slight advantage on IPC when it comes to clock per clock.
              My ryzen R7 1700X @3.9ghz performs same as Haswell i7 4790K @4,4ghz on singlethreaded scenarios. When it comes to multithreading things change quite a bit
              Suppose i buy a ryzen for virtualization server. Will the multithreadin advantage help ? Taking into picture that VMs are isolated processes usually.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post

Suppose i buy a ryzen for virtualization server. Will the multithreadin advantage help ? Taking into picture that VMs are isolated processes usually.
                yes, unless you want a gpupassthrough also, this one is still a bit wonky on the am4 motherboards, some are better some are worse.
                basically with ryzen you get more cores for your money and on tasks where cores matter its really good. Ryzen is not for hardcore gamers, but for people who multitask and run many things at the same time.

Comment

Michael did you turn of “multicore enhancement” that's set to auto on many motherboards?
                  If it's not turned of the 8700k might be overclocked by default and it won't be a fair benchmark, and since the test systems use 3200 memory a xmp mode is changed that should put the Intel CPU in an overclocked state if multicore enhancement isn't manually turned of.

Comment

yes, unless you want a gpupassthrough also, this one is still a bit wonky on the am4 motherboards, some are better some are worse.

Basically with ryzen you get more cores for your money and on tasks where cores matter its really good.

Ryzen is not for hardcore gamers, but for people who multitask and run many things at the same time.
                    Yeah ryzen is not for pure gaming for example 1080p at 144hz, in this scenary intel is better because have higher frecuencies and minor latency related problems

However as your said in multitasking intensive apps ryzen is much better case: 3D creation content, video encoding, virtual machines, streaming and others

Comment

The Serious Sam 3 BFE Vulkan results look odd. I guess something went wrong, like options set themselves back or so. Can happen with this game (it was extreme in Talos Principle).

Comment

Working...
                      X