Projects You Can Help With For Advancing Open-Source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I take it you're one of those people who says "how about you get up on the stage?" when someone criticizes a singer for doing a poor job, meanwhile failing to realize that it isn't the critic who deemed himself/herself good enough to be a performer. You're allowed to be critical of something you are not an expert in. You're allowed to be critical of something you do not partake in yourself, as long as you have a reasonable understanding of the situation. That doesn't mean you're right, but it isn't as unjustified as you imply, either.
    jfyi, karol is very much up on the stage :-)

Comment

a bit OT sorry:
      I'm enjoying the Nouveau driver and how things are automatically set up by Fedora 27 on a Dell 6520 Latitude laptop with hybrid graphics and Optimus technology (Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia 4200VM quadro). I even have the right click context menu, when click on app icon on the dock, offering me the option to start an application with the dedicated card (good job every one!). Unfortunately things are not that smooth when trying to install Ubuntu 17.10: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2373535

My main curiousity is related to that right-click context menu option beautifully offered on Gnome: is it offered by other DE like Cinnamon, Mate,Xfce? what about tiling WMs like i3/Swayland?

Cheers

Comment

I take it you're one of those people who says "how about you get up on the stage?" when someone criticizes a singer for doing a poor job, meanwhile failing to realize that it isn't the critic who deemed himself/herself good enough to be a performer.
        I'm the guy volunteering my time to help people make use of their hardware, you're the guy watching it at home on TV from your armchair.

Either get your lazy butt up and come help to improve the situation, or keep quiet. The best you can hope for with comments such as yours is to be able to demotivate me sufficiently so that I stop helping. Is that really the best thing you can do with your time?

Comment

karolherbst and imirkinthanks for you hard work on nouveau. I appreciate it.

Comment

More power to those who put their time and effort into these projects! You do not get the recognition and praise that you deserve, especially with the few but loud "backseat" commenters that always have to complain no matter what you do. Please keep doing what you do best and know that at least I immensely appreciate all the work you have done and will do in the future. As a (embedded) software engineer, I know this is difficult to say the least.
            Last edited by Oguz286; 17 October 2017, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
              AMD open source GPU software stack, in opposition with closed source NVidia drivers are getting better and better, gaining traction and support from big players like Baidu
              First time AMD had said something about opensource driver, if i remember correctly, was hd2900 time, year 2007. More or less good opensource driver we've got about 2 years ago. All this time Nvidia was offering good Linux driver, without Nvidia there were no steamos/steam machines initiative. And now, after AMD balely caught up NVidia, you damning NVidia for not supporting Linux community.

Comment

It's true they had their driver in place - but it wasn't made for gaming at first. When Steam got released they parched it to make it work fine with HL engine. But that's about it. Apart from that there's nothing we should be grateful about.

Even though AMDs driver wasn't in place at first they and many other companies and people in there spare time dedicate a lot of time in this drives - which is the reason it runs almost perfect now and the performance is still getting better from one Mesa release 'till the next.

​​​​​​Still thank you two guys for working on nouveau. Apart from having fun reverse engineering there's not much sense to put work in a driver that nVidia doesn't want and is hindering actively for no reason. Stupid them!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Sounds almost like the feature is intentionally held back to avoid user base growth and criticism that comes with it.
                  No, no no, you are missing the big picture.

Noveau is a secret NVIDIA project where all developers are paid to act as if they were developing an open driver but in reality just drag their feet.

The whole point of it is to stifle any true opensource NVIDIA driver effort.

Now they don't really need it anymore because they figured that by just using signed blobs they can lockdown any opensource efforts without all this theater.

#9/11-was-an-inside-job
                  #jet-fuel-cant-melt-steel-beams
                  #NWO-is-real
                  #hail-hydra

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                    I'm the guy volunteering my time to help people make use of their hardware, you're the guy watching it at home on TV from your armchair.

Either get your lazy butt up and come help to improve the situation, or keep quiet. The best you can hope for with comments such as yours is to be able to demotivate me sufficiently so that I stop helping. Is that really the best thing you can do with your time?
                    You're right that I'm the guy at home watching TV, but you're wrong about needing to keep quiet. The people who sit at home are the target audience, and if too many of them are left disappointed, then their voice has power.

My goal isn't to demotivate, but to bring attention to what needs help the most. The benefit of being a volunteer developer is you don't have to make commitments to a specific project (not you specifically).

All that being said, you aren't the one I am referring to. I appreciate your work and I see value in it; Arlie is who I am mostly referring to. He isn't just a talented developer, he's a necessity to the Linux community. So, when he decides to work on something redundant, how exactly am I wrong in saying that he needs to consider his priorities? I want Nouveau to succeed, and that isn't going to happen in situations where amdgpu gets two Vulkan drivers while Nouveau has none.

It's not that the work isn't appreciated, but to me, it feels like the skill could be put to much better use. I have a cousin who, throughout her entire schooling career, never got a grade lower than a B+. She had large corporations opening doors for her, and had a loyal boyfriend who wanted to marry her. She knew 5 languages, and 2 instruments. Her father at the time was president of several universities, and could guarantee her a seat in just about any career path. And you know what she did? She became a nun. Not just any kind, but one whose lifestyle is so strict and isolated that prisoners get more freedom and comfort. Even if I were religious (which I'm not), I would say "god didn't give you this mind for you to spend on praying for others". It's her choice and she felt she was doing the right thing. Is it wrong of me to criticize that? Maybe, but the world doesn't make progress when the potential of great minds ignores what's actually in need.
                    Last edited by schmidtbag; 17 October 2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

It's not that the work isn't appreciated, but to me, it feels like the skill could be put to much better use. I have a cousin who, throughout her entire schooling career, never got a grade lower than a B+. She had large corporations opening doors for her, and had a loyal boyfriend who wanted to marry her. She knew 5 languages, and 2 instruments. Her father at the time was president of several universities, and could guarantee her a seat in just about any career path. And you know what she did? She became a nun. Not just any kind, but one whose lifestyle is so strict and isolated that prisoners get more freedom and comfort.
                      Textbook case of person overwhelmed by pressure to excel, other people snap in different ways, but overall result is throwing away their life, sometimes literally.

Btw, how in the hell can someone be president of more than one university? Is that even legal?

Comment

Working...
                      X