Linux 4.15 Is Shaping Up To be An Exciting Kernel, Especially For AMD Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.15 Is Shaping Up To be An Exciting Kernel, Especially For AMD Users

Phoronix: Linux 4.15 Is Shaping Up To be An Exciting Kernel, Especially For AMD Users

There still is a few weeks to go until the Linux 4.14 kernel will be released, but following that the Linux 4.15 kernel is shaping up to be a very exciting cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't have an AMD GPU anymore, don't have a RISC-V CPU and probably never will, don't care much for Intel onboard graphics, don't need XFS, don't (yet) have a Raspberry Pi, and my Nvidia driver already has got working temperature sensors.

4.15 sounds very boring.

(Or was there sarcasm hidden inside the article?)

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Don't have an AMD GPU anymore, don't have a RISC-V CPU and probably never will, don't care much for Intel onboard graphics, don't need XFS, don't (yet) have a Raspberry Pi, and my Nvidia driver already has got working temperature sensors.

4.15 sounds very boring.

The world consists of more than just you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post
        You're right, but I think you're only luring a lone troll out of its cave.

Comment

4.15 sounds very boring.

So much egocentrism in one post.

Comment

Very excited for this release but my gut tells me a merge of this size is a hard sell for Linus and there's no HAL fiasco like last time. Would love to get MST working on my WX 5100 under Fedora since running the AMDGPU-PRO drivers under EL7(.3) is not worth the sacrifice and the open source AMDGPU drivers are otherwise working beautifully.

Comment

4.15 sounds very boring.

I'm sorry, you'll have to keep waiting for basic features like XWayland support for your Nvidia driver.
              In the meantime we will enjoy per monitor scaling with Wayland.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Pentarctagon View Post

Even so, those already on Nvidia have little to look forward in 4.15. I don't know how many that is, I can only find this: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=linux

However, that's really not even remotely the point of 4.15. At the same time, saying this isn't exciting (whatever that means) because you don't own AMD or Intel graphics, isn't less considerate towards others than saying this is exciting simply because you happen to own such a GPU. Useful is the term I would have used here, but leave it to Michael to use an alluring title for otherwise bland news.

Comment

I'm hoping the AMD SEV (Secure Encrypted Virtualization) patches go in as well so we can start having encrypted VMs on cloud providers.

Comment

Linus said it was open, Linus said it was GPL...

Comment

Working...
                    X