macOS' APFS File-System Performing Much Better Than The Dated HFS+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Hardware that runs the only commercial UNIX OS on a laptop. People in this forum confuse the shinny with what is underneath.
    If we're talking laptops, then yes. But it's not the only commercial Unix OS. In fact, most other commercial Unix OS's (like QNX and HP-UX, even though the latter is dying) have more market share than macOS in the business world (iOS is a different story).

Comment

That's because when you close an app, it doesn't actually close it, it just stops displaying the interface for the app until the next time you open it. This is a common problem, people believe wrongly that because a resource is available it should be forced to be filled to the brim. Apple is one of the worst at misunderstanding that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Because as you can see from the forums... people are interested... and macOS vs. Linux is always quite of interest to many.
        We are very interested! What many don't understand here is that professionals end up having to use many platforms sometimes with no say at all in what system they have to sit in front of at the moment. Linux certainly has its good points but it is hardly a maintenance free OS requiring heavy technical support. On the other hand Mac OS provides a very similar environment being UNIX based that is relatively trouble free support wise. The similarities make for valid and very interesting comparisons.

I'm only two pages into this thread and I'm seeing a lot of absolutely hilarious comments buy the but hurt over a thread that spends a moment focused on Mac OS. Sadly comparisons are used a weights by which Judgement is passed on a specific system which makes no sense when you consider that one system is the ultimate desktop solution and the other is really strong in the world of networking and server duty. The whole reason HFS stay around as long as it did is because it wasn't a pressing matter for the platform unlike other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Hi, GruenSein. You are behind the times here. On my devices (right now it's CherryTrail and Broadwell-based hardware) Linux with tlp and Opera battery-saving deliver more hours on battery than Windows on same hardware. So I don't think some Dell or ThinkPad running Linux could upset you on this matter.

Nobody force anybody use DEs they didn't like.
          I'd be interested in a conclusive review of battery performance for a bunch of distros at stock configuration (and maybe custom setups. But really: I need the device to just work as it is not a toy or hobby).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            No, I'm saying that parading their product around is a requirement higher than functionality (which can get away with being subpar).
            That is perhaps the most asinine bit of crap recently posted in these platforms. So are you saying a web developer or other developer, that picks up a Mac has no appreciation for the performance of the machine, its engineering (which is top notch), the quality of the displays or the general form of the machine? Frankly Apples machines have been very good performers and are often paraded around bed=cause functionally they are hard to beat.

Oh by the way stop asking for citation when you know damn well what the facts are.

EXT4 is a pig? EXT4 is being replaced? You saw benchmarks?

Don't bunch it together with crap like HFS and NTFS when it is clearly not in the same league on performance, features and stability.
            You are willfully missing the argument, the point is the file systems have been around for a very long time. Anybody even remotely familiar with Macs realizes that HFS leaves a lot to be desired performance wise which is why this develop is of interest.

Same goes for XFS, also from 93, also not a pig, also not being replaced.
            Which flies in the face of what is happening in Linux land where many of the old files systems are in fact being replaced. This doesn't happen over night and frankly a winner for mainstream usage hasn't risen to the top. However you do have new file system solutions jockeying to replace the older file systems, it will happen one day. Who knows when that one day will be, it took Apple more than a decade to come up with a replacement for HFS, the LINUX world will likely take as long to settle on the new mainstream file system.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Propaganda and quite good hardware. However, I'm talking about software here and about macOS especially. Its market share is just about few percent on desktop which is a shame. It's desktop OS since beginning, isn't it? Since you started talking about fanaticism: there are no bigger fanatics than apple boys.
              Look in the mirror buddy as when it comes to fanaticism you are at the top of the heap. You have many posts here highly critical of Mac OS and Apple users yet not supported by a rational review of the facts. It would be better if people realized that operating systems fill niches and that the niches occupied by Linux and Mac OS don''t often cross.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Out of curiosity, explain please just how Apple managed to get among top10 most worth companies in the world. While selling "crap" - as you defined it.
                May I? Due to somewhat meticulous exploitation of what someone aptly called "the cult of the novice": http://www.loper-os.org/?p=121
                In other words its business model has little to do with tech.

This write-up by the same author specifically on Apple answers your question in more detail: On the Still-Undefeated Tyranny of Apple.
                Last edited by mastermind; 26 September 2017, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Did read both links and it feels like so much drug-induced yowling..

"At some point Steve Jobs will die and Apple becomes white dwarf.." or whatever.. sure it did

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                    I own a mac mini, because I need to test that some things work on "that side" too. I have to admit, it works fine. For most "average users", it's probably a great solution. I don't get the hate against them. It's a free market, use what you want.
                    I don't understand it either. What many people here don't seem to understand is that you can have professional environments where you have machines with many operating systems (sometimes they are hardly operating systems) that you have to deal with. Nothing in this world is perfect but at least with Mac OS and Linux you have interchangeable skills. I can remember working on visions systems where simply getting a file out of the device required having the manual to the immediate right of your keyboard. I never did learn what the OS was int that system. I can even remember working on a machine with Bubble memory sitting on a Mulitbus backplane, the interface to the that embedded operating system was Auster to say the least.

The point here is that OS'es either evolve or die and knocking Mac OS and by extension Apple because they came out with a new and improved file system is just silly. By its nature Apple needs a solution that just works and minimizes the need for professional maintenance. Time will tell if the new file system is up to the task. Note that task is a bit different than the focus one sees in the Linux world though some here don't understand that a difference in focus isn''t bad.

As a side note many of the old automation systems I use to work on have been replaced these days by machines running Windows. Reliability is almost universally worse but this is apparently what the industry wants. It is a case of the industry supporting the wrong horse in my mind but you be hard pressed getting traction with Linux or even Mac OS. In fact your very career would be questioned if you suggested booting Windows for Linux. The sad reality is that sometimes the best solution looses.

Comment

I still don't get why it get's all the Linux nerds so wound up. Even if your view of things where people who don't know much about technology buy the expensive, shiny, easy to use product instead of the solid, somewhat more complicated, and more mundane one... So what? I think, it is just some weird kind of hurt pride where the imagined superiority isn't recognized by "the masses".
                      Do you behave like that when your neighbor buys a shiny but expensive premium brand car? Other cars might have more horsepower and bigger trunks for the same price but you like how the premium one handles and that they come with a nice build in stereo. Imagine that!

And before anyone asks: I don't think this is actually the case. I simply don't get this weird hateful outrage. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't keep tinkering using unofficial repositories to get your video acceleration to work and what not. It is just hard for me to understand that you judge that it is a worthy business to offer some polish and out of the box experience at a higher price. Nobody is forcing you to give up your homegrown case-modded rigs.

Comment

Working...
                      X