Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 17.1.10 Released, Time To Upgrade To Mesa 17.2

Phoronix: Mesa 17.1.10 Released, Time To Upgrade To Mesa 17.2

Mesa 17.1.10 just hit the wire and is the last planned update for the Mesa 17.1 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone with ARM system help with this please: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102573
    It stalled the whole Debian testing.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Can anyone with ARM system help with this please: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=102573
      It stalled the whole Debian testing.
      Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Testing is still at mesa 13. Is this the dependency holding up gnome-shell 3.26 as well?

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. Testing is still at mesa 13. Is this the dependency holding up gnome-shell 3.26 as well?
        Not sure about Gnome (I'm using KDE), but I had to pull Mesa from unstable to get the 17.x releases (in needs libllvm-5.0 as well). Mesa in testing had really bad luck. First it fell behind because of the freeze, but then it got stuck because of bugs in llvm and gcc and mips arch failures (those are fixed by now), and now because of failed build on armel. Overall it's just like another freeze... I feel like there needs to be an unblocked testing for x86_64.

Not that it matters for games anyway. I build Mesa master from source, and run games with that separate Mesa explicitly, while system uses packaged one. But I still would prefer newer packages.

Comment

Not sure about Gnome (I'm using KDE), but I had to pull Mesa from unstable to get the 17.x releases (in needs libllvm-5.0 as well). Mesa in testing had really bad luck. First it fell behind because of the freeze, but then it got stuck because of bugs in llvm and gcc and mips arch failures (those are fixed by now), and now because of failed build on armel.
          Yeah, I followed a bit the development as well, and you have summarized it pretty well.

Overall it's just like another freeze... I feel like there needs to be an unblocked testing for x86_64.
          I was thinking exactly the same thing today.

Comment

Btw, qemu 2.10 is now available in unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

Btw, qemu 2.10 is now available in unstable.
              Yeah, I noticed. I might end up setting up Qemu emulated ARM build just for that.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian testing Xfce works fine with the arm64 platform. I made a Debian testing Xfce distribution for a Amlogic S912 tvbox.
                Mesa needs a fix to compile on Armel.

Comment

Not that it matters for games anyway. I build Mesa master from source, and run games with that separate Mesa explicitly, while system uses packaged one. But I still would prefer newer packages.
                  I've been thinking about doing the same, but haven't had the time. Do you have any good instructions on how to set it?

Comment

Originally posted by oskar-n View Post

I've been thinking about doing the same, but haven't had the time. Do you have any good instructions on how to set it?
                    I made such instructions here: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/B...sa_from_source

They are a bit outdated, since they rely on libllvm-3.9 and older Mesa. I really need to update them, but currently to build Mesa master on actual Debian testing, you sometimes need weird manual dancing, like at times enabling unstable, pulling in some packages, then disabling and so on. I don't really want to put all that mess on the wiki, since once libllvm-5.0 based Mesa will roll into Debian testing, it won't be necessary.

What's also annoying is lack of multilib support in some packages like libllvm and clang (and a few more), that complicates 32-bit cross compilation, since some packages need to be removed before installing 32-bit versions.

Anyway, you can get the idea from the wiki how to do it. Once things will catch up a bit in testing, I'll update it.

Comment

Working...
                    X