RADV Vulkan vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Performance With Linux 4.13 + Mesa 17.3-dev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Vulkan vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Performance With Linux 4.13 + Mesa 17.3-dev

Phoronix: RADV Vulkan vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Performance With Linux 4.13 + Mesa 17.3-dev

It's been a few weeks since last delivering any large RADV/RadeonSI open-source AMD Linux graphics benchmark results due to being busy with testing other hardware as well as battling some regressions / stability problems within the AMDGPU DRM code and Mesa Git. But with Linux 4.13 stable and the newest Mesa 17.3-dev code, things are playing well so here are some fresh OpenGL vs. Vulkan benchmarks on three Radeon graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i don't know if i missed it, but i still would prefer to see these kind of benchmarks on a more mundane CPU to see if RADV/vulkan shines when the CPU is the bottleneck

Comment

You should toss in your previous results from AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan driver for comparison, shouldn't be a need to rerun those tests, just include them perhaps? Gives people a idea on if the game has optimization issues or its just the RADV itself.

Comment

Would it be possible/feasible for AMD to make a libdrm or DRM api implementation on Windows and use Mesa for OpenGL across both operating systems?

Open Source FTW

Comment

Actually i have a RX480 with a A10-7850k CPU, so that classify as a fast card with a weak cpu ... and at least in mad max, i get better performance in vulkan than opengl

Comment

so, the only game where radv is better is talos
            Originally posted by Veto View Post
            Would it be possible/feasible for AMD to make a libdrm or DRM api implementation on Windows and use Mesa for OpenGL across both operating systems?

Open Source FTW
            no, mesa doesn't support windows api(directx)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              Well and Dota 2 for 2 out of 3 cards at the more popular lower resolution. I wonder why RADV seems to have a disadvantage at the 4K resolution: Does it generate different GPU commands than radeonSI ?

Comment

I thought the idea with Windows drivers was you implement WDDM driver interface and get DirectX for free; OpenGL and Vulkan you need to do yourself

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I thought the idea with Windows drivers was you implement WDDM driver interface and get DirectX for free; OpenGL and Vulkan you need to do yourself
                  Kind a, "you implement TSGI -> ISA and you get OpenGL for free" in the Mesa world.

Comment

What's funny is that Gallium is basically D3D11 without the COM crap (well, not quite, but close), yet no one seems to be interested in a working D3D11 (+DXGI) state tracker.

Comment

Working...
                    X