Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heterogeneous Memory Management Made It For Linux 4.14

Phoronix: Heterogeneous Memory Management Made It For Linux 4.14

While busy covering the many new features of Linux 4.14, one important change slipped by that I have long been waiting to see merged: Heterogeneous Memory Management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Stoked to see what this brings in the future!
    Did the entire patchset get merged? I know a couple patches were being debated because they increased the kernel size too much for embedded devices.

Comment

Will HMM allow for regular apps to allocate vram for faster read/write?

Comment

Very interesting! I wonder how this relates to the state of OpenCL alluded to in another article. That is, is this a component that is a gate keeper with respect to OpenCL adoption?

Comment

Finally!

Comment

Originally posted by thebishop View Post
            Will HMM allow for regular apps to allocate vram for faster read/write?
            I thought that's what DRM did, long ago.

My impression is that this change is really about giving devices access to the memory of userspace processes. As such, it should be good for GPU compute and visualization of datasets much larger than GPU memory could hold.

Comment

Working...
            X